Epilogue: Rainbow

Six months later

Six months later...

"Mrs. Westbay, your phone is ringing," one my of students announces. It is the final day of school before Thanksgiving break. Thank God. This is what I get for being a middle school teacher. I put the Expo marker down and I tell them to work on the worksheet about the history of Thanksgiving. Ugh, why did I have to be a history teacher? Oh yeah, because I like history and I like teaching. I pull out my eyes and I unlock the bottom drawer of my desk and I pull out my phone. Damon's name shines on my screen. Why is he calling me? He should be in school, he is a sophomore in high school. I slide the green button and I hold the phone up to my ear.

"Damon, why are you calling me in school?" I ask.

Um, I think Mom and Dad forgot that the high school got out early today.

"Why did you call me?"

No one else answered their phone. Mom is going crazy with getting ready for Thanksgiving and then Dad is at work. Hunter isn't answering. Hadley isn't answering. Ashlynn is with your mom and your dad is at work. You are the only one that I have left to ask.

"This is my last class of the day, we get out in 30 minutes. How long have you been waiting?"

Since 1.

"Jesus, and you are now calling me? The high school isn't that far from my school. You should be able to walk over in about 15 minutes. Just go to the main office and tell them that you are my brother. My room number is 127."

Ok, thanks, Laurel, you are the best.

"I'll see you soon, Damey." I end the call and I see the class staring at me.

"What are you all looking at?" I ask my students.

"Was that your husband?" One of them asks.

"No, that was my brother-in-law. He is only a couple of years older than you all."

"How come you never tell us about your husband. You have never shown us photos," another one says. Ever since we got back from London, I closed off a lot of my personal life. I know that what happened couldn't have been prevented, but I'm still scared.

"Did you all finish your worksheets?" I ask moving around the classroom. They nod and pass them forward. I collect them all. I look at the clock and realize there is no point in teaching anything else. I pull out my laptop and I log in and load up my photos. I connect my laptop to the cord for the screen. My gallery appears on the screen and I click on the photo of the family.

"Meet the Westbays." Their eyes light up and they look closer at the family.

"Who is everyone?" They ask. I tell them all about the family and they want to meet Ashlynn really bad. They said that she is adorable.

"Maybe one day you guys will get to meet them, but I am making no promises because we are all busy."

"Mrs. Westbay, how much do you love your family?"

"I love them so much. I would be BLANK without them."

And it's true. I love my family so much that I don't know who I would be without them. On Thanksgiving when Harper asks what I'm thankful for, my response is that I'm thankful for family. They all brought me back to who I am.

They found me.

A couple of days later

I watch the rest of the family arrive for Thanksgiving and I can't help but feel jealous. All of them, minus Blair and Damon, have someone who loves them. I may have been accepted back into the family after everything, but they still tiptoe around me. I just want someone to love me and all my faults.

I ended up quitting my job because I couldn't look at my boss without feeling guilty. She understood and wished me the best.

I'm so lost and I just want to be found, like Lauren.

Is that so much to ask for?