Chapter 4: Name

Detective Brunt has been very interesting to be around all the time

Detective Brunt has been very interesting to be around all the time. I found it weird that he would be the one to take me in. I thought that his partner would, but I overheard him on the phone with someone and he said that someone would push me for answers and that it was safest for me to be here. He is also been super cautious around me. He is acting like I'm a mirror that is going to shatter. I have been a little less skittish around people. I still have panic attacks and I need my grey blanket at night, but that is because it is the only thing that I recognize from my past. I don't get why. For a couple of days, we had gotten in the swing of things, but then he would look over at me and then wouldn't talk to me. It feels like I'm alone. He is there when I wake up from nightmares and helps me calm down, but other than that we haven't said anything. I hear a knock on my bedroom door, and I turn and he is standing there leaning against the doorframe.

"I have a surprise for you," he says. I don't like surprises. I shift my body and I look genuinely uncomfortable. He waves for me to come with him. I follow him out and he goes to grab his keys. I slip some shoes on and I follow him out. He isn't going to do anything to scare me, right? I feel my chest start to tighten and my breath quickens. When he closes the door and heads towards the car, I freeze. He turns back to me. He rushes over to me and puts his hand on my arms.

"Hey, it's okay. We are just going to my work. I have some people that I want you to meet." New people? I push his hands away and I turn back and I try to open the door, but it's locked.

"Lauren," he says suddenly. Who the hell is Lauren? He tries to hold me still and calm me down, but I push him away.

"Don't touch me!" I yell slapping his arms away. He moves them and backs up. I stopping shaking the door handle and I slid down the door. I pull my legs close to my chest and rest my head on my knees. Tears stream down my face. Jamie squats down and looks me in the eyes.

"It's okay. I know that you don't want to meet anyone new, but this is important. I will be there the whole time. If you get uncomfortable, we can leave. Do you want me to go get your blanket?" He asks. I nod and he opens the door back up and slips past me. He comes back a minute later and hands me my grey blanket. This blanket isn't very big. It slightly larger than a baby blanket, but it is not a full-sized blanket. I pull it close to me and control my breathing.

"Are you better?" He asks crouching back down by me. I nod and he helps me stand up and I follow him to the car. We take the short drive to a building. It says police on the outside of the building. We walk in and I follow him into an office. I see his partner waiting there talking to another guy.

"Captain, we need to push her. We haven't gotten any answers," Jamie's partner says to the new guy.

"You can't do that. You know what happens if you push a victim. We are going to get some answers today. So, calm down." The new guy turns towards us standing there and he looks specifically at me.

"Is she ready?" He asks looking at Jamie. He nods and the guy leaves the room and we all follow him. We walk into another office where a man is waiting there with a baby seat.

"Mr. Westbay?" Why does that name sound familiar? The man turns around and looks at me.

"Lauren," he says breathlessly. He starts to move closer to me and I back up and clutch my blanket closer to me.

"Uh, who are you?" I ask. He looks at me, shocked.

"Lauren, it's me. Hunter." I look at him again, and I shake my head in confusion. I look at Jamie and he just stands there looking at my interactions between this man and myself. I turn to walk out of the room before I have a panic attack, but a voice pulls me back in.

"Lauren Ashley Westbay." I turn around and I see Jamie reading out of a file.

"Huh?"

"Your name is Lauren. You are from Chicago, Illinois. Your parents are Ivy and Jaxton Paisley and you have a 10-year-old sister, Blair. The man standing here is your husband, Hunter Xavier Westbay. You have been married for 4 years. You disappear over a year ago." I stare at them in shock and then I hear a cry. Hunter leans down and picks up a baby.

"Shh, it's okay," he says leaning the baby against him.

"And that is your daughter, Ashlynn Alexandria Westbay." My chest tightens and my thoughts are all over the place. My daughter? My husband? A family? It's too much. I collapse onto the floor and the last thing I hear is someone screaming my name.

My name is Lauren and I have been found.