Chapter 6: Me

"I remember

"I remember." His eyes widen at my words and he stands there frozen. Next thing that I know, he falls to the ground. Well, this is new.

Great, I am supposed to be getting out of the hospital and he is going to end up in it. I get out of bed and I lift him onto my bed. I look around the room and I see a baby playpen set up. Inside there is a little baby girl playing with some toys. Wait, a second. Is that? I walk over to the playpen and I look at her. Her big grey eyes shine up at me and that is how I know who she is. I lean over and pick her up and cradle her in my arms.

"Hi, baby girl, I'm your mommy," I say looking in her eyes. She is the perfect mix of Hunter and me. She has my eyes and mouth, but everything else is exactly like Hunter. I bounce her around and she tangles her fingers in my hair. Normally, I would complain and stop anyone messing with my hair, but I can't... won't. I never thought that I would get to see my daughter. The last thing that I remember is heading home from the school that I work at on the last day before spring break. I know that they took her from me. I am so god damn happy that she ended up with Hunter.

"She missed you, you know?" A voice says from behind me. I turn and I see Hunter standing there watching the two of us. He moves closer to us and I continue to bounce her in my arms and Hunter grabs one of her smaller toys and hands it to her. She plays with it and Hunter looks down into my eyes. God, I missed his eyes.

"I showed her pictures and videos of you all the time. She is able to recognize your voice because every time I showed her a video her eyes would light up. We both missed you so much," he says leaning his forehead against mine. He goes to lean in for a kiss, but...

"MA!" A voice squeaks out. We look down and Ashlynn is looking up at me.

"Ma!" She says against fidgeting with her toy again. Hunter and I look at each other.

"Did she just say-" I begin.

"Her first word? Yes," Hunter finishes. I shift Ashlynn in my arms and hold her out and I start talking in a baby voice to her. I have known her for 20 minutes and I'm already a proud mom.