Chapter 14: Clear Skies

A few minutes ago

A few minutes ago...

Quinn followed Hunter and Lauren inside and I move around back. I follow the outside wall until I find the back door. I check if it is unlocked and it is. Before I can walk in, I notice a light shining through a window. I peer inside and I see Blair laying there. She looks somewhat unharmed which is good. I start to go an try to open the window, but I look in and I hear voices. Shit, Lauren and Hunter are in there now. I listen to Lauren and Juniper argue and I look in and I see something pointed at Blair's head. I spring into action and pull out my pistol and aim. I fire without thinking and I hear a scream. Oh god.

What happened in there?

Present time...

After the shot rings out, I bolted over to Lauren and I covered her. We both look up and see Juniper laying on the ground in a pool of blood. Oh my god. She's dead. A little girl's cry fills the air and Lauren's eyes light up and she rushes to Blair and pulls her into a hug.

"I'm so sorry, Blair. I love you so much," Lauren says crying.

"You saved me, sissy," Blair says through the tears.

The next few hours were a blur. Jamie and Quinn talked to all three of us and took our statements. Paramedics came in and took Juniper's body and Blair to the hospital. Lauren rode in the ambulance with her and I met them there. The rest of the family was waiting when we got there and Ivy and Jaxton ran to Blair and Lauren and pulled them close. Mom brought me Ashlynn and I gave her a kiss on the forehead and she was dozing off to sleep. I can't believe that she turns a year old in a couple of weeks.

I feel someone wrap their arms around me from behind and rest their head on my back.

"Baby?" I ask. I turn around and Lauren settles into my arms with Ashlynn.

"I remember everything that happened during that year when we walked into that bedroom," she says with tears forming in her eyes. I lean over and give her a kiss on her forehead.

"But you got through it all," I whisper.

"Is it finally over?" She asks.

"It is." Lauren cries harder into my chest and Ashlynn wakes up and plays with her hair.