Chapter 1: Jane Doe

"You ruined his life

"You ruined his life. Now we are going to stay in your cage like the little doggy that you are." The door slams shut and makes me jump. I pull my blanket closer to me and inch into the corner of my thin bed. I wish someone could come and save me.

I jump awake and pull the blanket close to me. I feel my chest tighten. I feel my breathing quicken. Monitors around me start to go off and beep loudly. Nurses rush in and look at me panicking. What is happening to me?

"Don't touch me!" I yell slapping their hands away. They try to constrain me, but I continue to throw my arms around and push them away. I hear the door open and close again and my doctor comes rushing in.

"What is happening in here?" He asks rushing over to the nurse's side. I continue to hyperventilate and then a there's a pinch on my arm. The room starts to fade as I drift back into sleep.

"It's all your fault."

"Why did it have to be you!" They slam the door and leave me in my solitude. I don't know what I did or who they are talking about. I hear a tray slide across the concrete ground and I look over and see my meal for this afternoon. I lay in the bed wide awake and refuse to even bother eating the food. Maybe it would just be better if I was dead. I pull my blanket close and close my eyes. Maybe it would be better if I forgot everything.

I met Quinn outside the hospital and she walks to me holding two cups of coffee

I met Quinn outside the hospital and she walks to me holding two cups of coffee. She hands me one of the cups and I take a sip. Ah, energy.

"Did you talk to your brother?" I ask as she takes a sip.

Before we get there, Quinn Morrison, my partner. Her brother is William Morrison and is a doctor at the hospital where our Jane Doe is at. She has been my partner for as long as I have been on the force. I honestly don't know what I would do without her. She has saved my life on multiple occasions. We deal with most of the intense cases, which is why we are handed the one about Jane Doe. We have dealt with murderers, drug traffickers, rapists, you name it. The reward though is seeing how we can bring justice to where it is needed most. Telling women that we found the man that assaulted them and the look on their face is enough for us to keep doing our job. Anyways, back to Quinn.

"Not yet, he was asking me about dinner at our parent's this weekend. He wanted to talk to us about her together," she says pulling the cup away from her face. I nod and we both head inside. The secretary at the desk nods as we walk past. We wait as Dr. Morrison finishes talking to a patient's family.

"Sup, doc," Quinn says as he walks over.

"Really?" He asks giving her a look. Typical sibling relationships.

"Anyways, Jane Doe," I say stopping their little tiff.

"Yes, last night she had to be sedated, but otherwise he has a full report ready for you." He opens a file and flips to another page.

"She is an unidentified 28-year-old female. She arrived on March 10th, alone. She bruising on her legs and a laceration on her ankle, as well an injury to the back of the head. We have a feeling that is what caused her long term memory loss. Many people who experience the trauma, as she did, will repress those memories, but in her case is repressing them, but she also had a brain injury that resulted in her memory loss. She was malnourished and dehydrated, but we also found something rather interesting. She has been producing milk," he says closing the file.

"What does that mean?" I ask confused.

"That means that she has given birth in the last year," he explains. Oh, shit. This changes everything. What happens now? We absolutely have to figure out who she is. That child needs her mother.

Who the hell is this woman?

Pain. Pressure. Push. Push. I can do this. I have to save her. I have to make sure that she is okay. I push once again, I hear a baby's cry. Okay, she's okay. I look over and I see someone taking her.

"No. Give her to me!" I yell as they carry her out of the room. No! Give me my baby. Tears stream down my face as I try to move from my position. I feel someone hold me back and a pinch on my arm, and it's lights out.

I wake up back in my cage with a cup of water and a couple of pills. They also left a breast pump. Where is my baby girl? I pick up a note and read.

'Take these pills. Use the breast pump when necessary and leave the milk by the door. Don't worry your baby is safe, I can promise you that.'

Why can't they just let me go? I never did anything to them. I want my baby back.

I open my eyes slowly to see a hospital room. Baby? Why did I dream of having a baby? I sit up and I see Detective... Brunt? I think that's what his name was... standing there.

"Hello?" I ask. He walks over to me and brings a chair with him. He sits across from me and pulls out his notebook.

"Yes, good morning. I hope you got some rest. I just wanted to ask you a couple more questions if you are up for it." I nod.

"Okay. We were talking with your doctor and he said that from your examination that your body is producing milk, which means you have given birth in the last year." What? I have a baby. Wait. My dream. No. No. Don't tell me that they took my baby away. I feel my chest start to tighten and tears form in my eyes. They took her. No. My baby.

"You took her. Where is she?" I yell at him I start to mumble words. I hear the door loudly open and the doctor runs in. He holds me still and gets me to lay back down. My body starts to fall back asleep.

"They took her," I mumble as my eyes closed and I fall into a dreamless state.

They took her. Where is my baby?    

 Where is my baby?