☆彡 PROLOGUE

cassandra bravo
02/05/18
1:24pm
florence, italy

"Do you think I'm too young to be getting married?" I asked suddenly, manicured fingertips fiddling with the band of my veil in the mirror. I smiled at my reflection, only half-caring about my mother's answer. I knew I was meant to be a bride, and I knew that Shawn was meant to be my groom.

"You know the answer to that." She said, coming up behind me. "But it's your life, and you're meant to live it with Shawn. Anyone can see that."

"It just feels right." I exhaled, "I've never been more sure of anything in all nineteen years of my life."

"I know." My mother whispered, her comforting voice reassuring me. She was unsure at first, when I told her about the wedding. But she saw it, the love we shared. Anyone could see it.

She moved closer to me, fixing my dress around my waist as she leans forward to kiss my cheek. "I love you, mom." I whispered, leaning my head against hers. "Thank you, for everything."

"You don't have to thank me, baby." She smiled. "And you're still gonna be my baby, even when you're his wife."

"Of course." I smiled, taking a deep breath. "Is it time?"

"If you're ready?" She replied, taking my hand and squeezing it. She looked into my eyes, her own rimmed with tears. "If you're ready and you're sure, we can go do this."

"I'm as ready and as sure as I'll ever be." I nodded, checking my appearance in the mirror one last time. The ivory dress I'd spent five months getting designed by Vera Wang, a stunning combination of fabrics and pearls, fitted me perfectly. I knew everyone would love it, Shawn especially. And he was all that really mattered, in all of these precious moments.

"You look perfect, Cass." My mother told me, "He's going to fall in love all over again."

"I hope so." I inhaled sharply, "I'm so nervous, mom. I can't believe this is happening."

"I can't believe it either. My baby is getting married today." She chuckled, hugging me one last time before we walked out of the preparation room. "And I honestly couldn't be happier for you."

"I couldn't be happier for me, either!" I joked, the biggest smile on my face. This was going to be the happiest day of my life. Because I was marrying the love of my life.

And as I walked down the aisle, my arm linked tightly in my mother's for much needed reassurance, he was all I saw. He was doing that smile, the one that was always reserved just for me. It was brighter than usual, filled with our combined dreams for the future that we'd be sharing after this day. As I got closer I saw a tear curve around his cheekbone, staining that handsome face. I chuckled through my own tears and he shook his head in disbelief, unable to tear his eyes away from me.

I'd waited and dreamt for this day for as long as I could remember, never quite knowing who'd be there at the end of the aisle until I met Shawn. And then I knew, he was the one I'd be with forever.

And even ten years later, when I think of this day, it's still the happiest day of my life. But I can only wonder— where did we go wrong?