Love, Kid!

- Kellin's P.O.V - 

"So, McDonald's, or..." My mom asked casually, not sparing me a glance as we drove down the busy streets. I shrugged her off, far more interested in the song on the radio, something about singing in the mirrors and dancing in the showers- despite the unknown artist, the song itself was catchy. I was still a bit caught off guard by the talk Mike and I had earlier today. What if he didn't like me? I mean, it would make sense...kind of. 

My mom somehow noticed me drifting off, "How was school today?" she asked, finally deciding to look over at me at the worst possible time. 

I just went full tomato. 

You never go full tomato

"U-um, it was okay. I guess." I nodded, despite the barely audible voice in my head telling me I'd fucked up. That's a first. 

She laughed, "Oh yeah, and I can cook like Martha Stewart!" she mocked me in some stupid tone of voice I'd made her promise to never use again, what a loser. "Seriously, what's going on- more specifically, how're you and Vic?" she got right to it, giving me a full on grin. 

I choked on my breath, turning to look at her with wide eyes, "What's going on with me and Vic? Oh, nothing! Just two ol' buds hanging out," I gave her the least nervous smile I could muster up on the spot, I ended up looking like a constipated puppy. Still cute though, I shot myself a smug smile from the rear view mirror. 

A pair of eyes were rolled in my direction, "Oh come on!" she dragged her words out, seeming disappointed. 

"If I tell you something will you promise not to freak out?" I asked quietly, hoping for the best, yet still expecting the worst because this was my mother we were speaking about. 

She quirked an eyebrow, yet she was still able to keep her eyes on the road, "I promise?" she mumbled, looking as nervous as I felt. 

Well, here goes nothing..."Vic and I-" Come on Kellin, no backing out now, "We...kissed?" Well! That was a lot weirder when it actually came out of my mouth. 

A long silence fell over the both of us for what seemed like forever- it felt like centuries have gone by. (yOU WILL REMEMBER ME FOR CEnturIES) Until she'd finally turned to look at me, her movements were almost robotic, eyes wide- "Kellin Quinn!" she screeched, making my mouth gape at the unsettling sound, "I-I'd hug you, but I'm driving! Oh, what the heck, there's a reason we have car insurance, ri-" she began taking her hands off of the steering wheel. 

"Mom, no!" I shouted, shoving her hands back. This woman is insane. I took the time she spent swerving around cars trying to catch my breath, what would've happened if I hadn't stopped her? "Jesus Christ, drive responsibly!" I yelled, taking in a few deep breaths. 

She scoffed, "Kells, you and I both know that'll never happen." her voice came out childlike, which wasn't surprising considering she was technically the child in this two person family. How nice. 

"So...tell me all about it! How, when, where, how long, oh!" her eyes widened, "Was there any tongue action!?" she gave me a frantic look, I felt like a drug in the eyes of an addict. 

I clenched my eyes shut, refusing to spew my delicious food out because of her perverted questions. A woman her age should not be asking me what my first kiss was like. 

First kiss. 

My first kiss was with Vic Fuentes. That thought itself brought on a large frenzy of thoughts I was not prepared for. We're not even together in that way, and we kissed. Is that bad? Am I no longer a kiss-virgin? What the hell happens now? I brought my hand up, letting it tangle into my hair. I noticed my mom shoot me a blank stare from across the room, more than likely wondering if everything was alright. "That was my first kiss..." I worded one of my previous thoughts. 

Her eyes lit up at the statement, "Exciting, isn't it? I believe that this won't be your last either, you two are just too cute!" she grinned widely. 

"Well, what now?" I asked quietly, staring up at her through my eyelashes. These conversations should feel awkward, but right now I'm just too confused to feel awkward. 

She thought for a while, "Just go with the flow-" she slipped on her imaginary shades, "Don't go around dropping the 'L' bomb on him, that tends to scare them away..." she looked away quickly. 

The 'L' bomb? "What's that?" I asked, unsure of what that could possibly mean. Maybe it's short for lesbian. I mean, if you tell a man that you're with 'lesbian', they'll surely be afraid, right? Because if you're a lesbian, then what would you be doing with a man...? 

"Love, kid!" she ruffled my hair, "The word itself isn't that bad, it's actually the meaning behind it," her tone turned serious. 

My eyebrows knitted together, I was feeling even more confused than I was before, "What's so wrong about telling someone you love them? I thougt that was like, a nice word. Spread love and joy! No?" had this nice word turned into something useless? 

"Oh Kellin, you're so clueless sometimes." My mom sighed, stretching out before standing up, "I think I'll go to sleep now, it's far too much for me to explain at this time," she murmured tiredly, "Love you, dork!" she shot me a half smile, making her way out into her room. 

I would do the same, but I couldn't. This stupid word was just running through my mind...'Love, love, love...

I love puppies, books, sleep, and music. Is that the wrong way to put it? I mean, I could use the word 'like', but what's the difference? 

********

I got the sudden urge to write, so here it is! Yay! I think this is the quickest I've ever updated this story, double yay!