Chapter 14 ~ Free Once Again

The crisp snow beneath her feet Luna continued to walk back to the pack territory. Her last howl had been accepted with a chorus of happy and relieved howls. Runo jumped about her feet happy to be out of the cobblestone and limestone prison. Luna's tried to get the past week out her mind but however hard she tried it was no use. Smith's terrified face when Runo lunged at him, the hurt in his blue eyes as she left, did he really care about her? No she couldn't think like that, the pack was her home, humans soul aim was to capture and control anything they didn't understand. Then her mind wandered to Sorrel, she missed her dearly, she had become part of her life and now that she was gone Luna felt a hint of loneliness. Looking over her shoulder in the direction of the storm she could feel Sorrel’s presence, would they meet again?

The wind had picked up and her instincts warned her of the approaching storm.

Continuing her trek she was welcomed by the scent of the territory border, home.

Running into the territory and into the shade of the forest her acute hearing heard the frantic paw steps of on coming wolves. And right enough across the woods came the strongest members of the pack, the alpha Mako in lead, how far he had come from the scared wolf she saved from the mage's lair all those years ago.

Getting down on her knees she was welcomed home by a flurry of nips, licks and rubs. The higher ranking wolves nodding their approval that she may return to the pack.

She was back where she belonged. But why couldn't she get Sorrel and Smith out her mind. 

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

[Back at Hat Corp]

"I was actually growing to like them" Trott sighed placing a glass of wine on the limestone floor. Ross looked over at the smallest sir and nodded, "They were nice weren't they. I just can't believe they were the Bonded Ones from the legend, not that it mattered". Ross groaned and picked up on of the presents that they had got for Sorrel, ripping off the wrapping paper was a set of new clothes, "She really needed these... She will be freezing out there". Trott agreed and then jumped up from his spot on the floor, "And we will get them to her!" Ross looked at his friend with confusing then excitement, "I'll get the marble!!"

--

The two sirs worked hard into Christmas night trying to get their little delivery golem operational. "Ugh!! We need some magic to run it" Trott exclaimed throwing down his wrench. Ross nodded and looked over to Smith who sat at the door of one of the supply rooms. He hadn't moved from there in hours, ever since Luna left. 

"Hey mate we need you" Ross said placing his hand on Smith's shoulder. He just continued to stare at the small velvet box it his hand, that contained a small crescent moon necklace. "Aww mate I'm sure we will see them again", Ross encouraged to his heartbroken friend. Smith stood up and glared at Ross, "She doesn't want me!!! She was scared of me! I have never seen terror like that!" Falling to his knees Smith sobbed the necklace grasped in his hand. Trott walked over with the golem in his hands, "Come on mate, we can help them by getting this to Sorrel, before it's too late". Looking up Smith nodded. 

--

They finished the golem and Smith placed it into the snow. It's arms full of clothes and their letter. Before he cast the last spell, he placed the velvet box in the golems chest. "Find her"

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Sorrel was in a dire situation. The blizzard had caught her completely off guard as she slowly made her way back to the herd land. The bitter cold was taking hold of her, her tattered clothes giving no protecting against the elements. Opel nudged his herdmate softy as she lay curled up on the cold stone of the cave they had managed to find. The small fire she has build provided little heat as the storm raged on.