Chapter 25 ~ Orbs

It was only after days and days of endless moping around and boring nothingness that Sorrel finally decided to take action. She pushed herself off of the bland and meaningless floor, a ripple of confidence threatening to overthrow the despair that currently had a hold over her mind. Her eyes were dull and lifeless but her posture spoke differently. Her shoulders were broadened compared to their normal stance, and she puffed her chest out in a large intake of breath. In her mind she spoke, her words with a certain positivity, yet at the same time apprehension. 

"Luna. It's time to get out. I can't stand this anymore." She turned to look at her fellow inmate. Luna nodded solemnly.

"What are you going to do when we get out?" The wolf girl replied, not willing to add the, 'if we get out' for fear of dampening her friend's spirits.

"I don't know." She said honestly, emotion clearly laced in her voice. She frowned slightly, as if remembering something. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out the box Smith had given her all those months ago. Sorrel flipped the lid up and gasped at what she saw inside. She had forgotten the beauty of the necklace. Inside the small blue velvet lined box sat a hand crafted piece of jewelery, intended soley for Luna. Sorrel took in the beauty and marvelled at the emotion it clearly conveyed. Smith had obviously taken a lot of time over it.

Upon a chain made of the purest silver sat a small wolf figurine. It seemed to be made out of the cloud's themself its silver was so strong. The wolf had it's head turned slightly outwards, so when resting around someone's neck it wouls seem to be facing the same way their body is facing. Upon closer examination, Sorrel noticed that the two eyes were the purest of diamonds, blue and true. She gaped at the gift and it's beauty. On it's back there seemed to be some kind of marking. Like a rune. Huh, 'rune' - a little like 'Runo'! Sorrel shook the thought from her mind and examined the mark. Having sheltered the herd in caves for winter upon winter, she was exceedingly familiar with the ancient markings. This one had the cutest meaning ever. True Love.

"Luna?" She asked in her head again, trying not to let the excitment slip through in her voice. Drowsily, the girl opposite stood and rubbed her eyes.

"Yeah?" Luna responded, clearly weary and loosing the will to stay imprisoned. She had been there much longer than Sorrel, after all. Sorrel grinned at the girl and waved to Luna using small box in her hand. Luna looked confused and shrugged her shoulders. "What's that?"

"This, friend, is a box containing a treasure your friend Smith gave to me." Luna looked puzzled, and slightly jealous. 

"He gave it to you?" She shot, unintentionally stonily, accidently becoming offended that he had given Sorrel but not Luna. 

"Yeah- to give to you!" Sorrel laughed as Luna's eyes perked up unexpectedly. She then sighed and let her eyes drop to the floor again, realising the glass stood between them. Tears began to line her eyes, before Sorrel perked up again.

"Listen to me, you know that den you were telling me about?" Luna nodded solemnly, pointing up the rocky mountains,

"Yeah it's just up-" But mentally Sorrel cut her off.

"Take Runo up there and tell him to stay put. Trust me." And with that, Sorrel and Opal dissapeared not only out of Luna's head but also out of her vision. They were galloping towards the near forest in their side of the dome. The glass between them stood tall and mighty as it always had, and Luna cursed it under her breath before starting towards the den at a run. Runo was of course easily at her side, if not slightly ahead of her. After hauling themselves up the mountainside the pair eventually reached the inlet. With some convincing, Luna managed to convince Runo to head inside. He looked sorrowfully back at her over his shoulder, as if knowing she wasn't going to be joining him. She didn't know why Sorrel was making her do this, only that it was apparently nessecary.