Chapter 2, Sheena

My training started the next day. I could tell Cate wasn't at all happy about having me start the training so soon, but Alban insisted.

  It was bad. Having spent the past three years of my life living on a bed, not able to flip anyone or just catch my breath after running for a mile was bad enough by itself, but the fact that I had to keep my monster in check was even worse. It threatened to come out whenever someone pinned me to the ground, or when the Instructors yelled at me.

  I wondered if I should just let it out, just to shut everyone up.

  In the afternoon, I had specialized training—some kids do; most Greens have training with computers and coding, Yellows have to learn how to manipulate electronics. I didn't know what Blues and Orange—Oranges; apparently there are more than one, the other in another base—do, but I'm the only kid sent to do medical training.

  And for my instructor, it was news as well.

  "Why are we training Greens to be medics?" Doctor Jonna Thorne, a brown hair woman in her late thirty or early forty—I could be way off here; I could never tell the age of people who were not Asian accurately—was complaining to an assistant when I walked in the door of her office. The League had five medical teams in this base, all consists of only two people, a doctor and his or her assistant.

  "I don't know." The assistant, Jack Barnes, a red hair young men, answered her. He looked about the same age as Nate—Agent Stewart. "Maybe they want to mix things up a little? We do have a surplus of Greens here..."

  Doctor Thorne saw me got in, and gestured for me to sit in front of her desk. "Are you one of those logical ones, or one of those photo album ones?" She asked. She was referring to the two types of Green—the ones with good logical reasoning skills, and the ones with photographic memories.

  I'm neither. So which one would I be able to fake better?

  Logical ones. I written it down on the paper and showed it to them.

  "Hmm." Doctor Thorne pressed her lips. "Well, that would help, but you do need a good memory to learn the ropes here. A lot of graphics, names, technical terms..."

  "Like what they made us do in medical school? It's bonkers." Jack added with a roll of his eyes. "In the beginning of the semester, we were told to study the amount of books equals to the entire series of Harry Potter, and came the midterm, the questions were like, 'What is Dumbledore's full name?'"

  Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore. I wrote down.

  Dr. Thorne was the first to laugh. "I guess you'll have no problem here, then." She patted me on my back, and dropped a stack of hardback textbooks in front of me.

   ╳   ╳   ╳

Cate tried to talk to me when I got off from the classes, but honestly, I just wanted to rest. The sleeping quarters for kids were not as...luxurious, or at least, private, as those of the agents—two bunk rooms, one for boys, one for girls. Both were big enough to take in all the kids in this place, so both were half empty. My bed was the top bunk of Vida's lower one.

  I always preferred top bunk. It provided a little privacy that I couldn't seem to get in this place. When I was living in the dorm room in boarding school, it was like we were always having slumber parties—we'd decorate the wooden frames of our beds and the walls beside them with string lights, posters, curtains, and paper ribbons, so it'd feel like home. Now, the bunk beds were made of metal, and it was arranged in neat, tight rows. No ribbons, no curtains, no nothing; just gray paint on ice cold steel frame.