Chapter 4, Sheena

The next few weeks was torture. I didn't know where I was going or what I was doing half of the time, and my already less-than-ideal performance in most classes just plummeted down into the gutter. I couldn't remember how many times Instructor Johnson had screamed to my head and asked me to "pull my shit together", but honestly, what's the point anymore?

  It wasn't until three weeks after Nate's supposed extraction, did things took a surprising turn. On the medical training class that day, I was handed a red folder—an Op file—telling me that I was to go on my first Op, as a medic on a rescue mission. The rescue mission.

  I didn't bother trying to figure out why they want to get him when it was the policy that we don't do that for anyone. I'm not gonna complain.

  I'm going to see him again.

  Ruby and Vida were on the same mission, too, but as trainees, and they will be going in, whereas I would be staying outside with Dr. Thorne. Jack would be going in with the team leader Rob—Cate's Harvard-graduate, former Army-Ranger, ex-FBI-agent boyfriend—in case there were any emergency, and they need a medic on spot.

  We were flown in to the suburb of Philadelphia. Coming back to this city gave me chills down my spine—the bad kind—but I can't succumb to the fear. I'm here to work. All the training I had in the past two months were for this precise reason—to help save him, the man that saved my life.

  Dr. Thorne and I listened to the comm when the team was going in. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.

  "Don't fret. It's going well." Dr. Thorne said to me. This is the first time she had spoken directly to me about things other than class stuff in weeks. Maybe she had changed her mind about me.

  There was a shriek coming from the comm, followed by shouts and chaos. Out of the many things that came through, we heard only one sentence that made sense to us—"Medic down!"

  That drained all color from Dr. Thorne's face immediately. I stood up, and was ready to run out of our hiding—we were positioned in a van one block away from the site they were storming—but Dr. Thorne pushed me back into my seat.

  "Stay here." She snapped before opening the door and jumped out into the darkness, leaving me in there. Our driver—an Agent Kalb—turned around from the driver's seat, and bellowed, "What the hell is she doing?"

  I opened my mouth, and closed it again.

  "Damn mute." Kalb cussed, and started the car. "This is Kalb. I'm taking the medics to you." He said to the comm.

  The car swiveled around, but Agent Kalb cursed again and killed the engine immediately as we saw three soldiers, just some fifty yards in front of us, hauling two prisoners out of a hole on the ground, and loading them into a van. We held our breaths, hoping they wouldn't notice us.

  And out of the blue, the soldiers were flying sideways like they had been pushed away by a huge invisible hand. I gasped as Ruby and Vida emerged from the shadow. When they approached the prisoners, I felt my heart slowed down, sinking out of my body—I didn't know how I knew, but I just did.

  This is it.

  This is him.

  Ruby ripped the hood off one of the prisoner, and I let out a long breath. It really is him. Agent Kalb jumped out of the car, but Ruby didn't react to him, nor to Vida's shout. She seemed even more in shock than me.

  Why?

  Words were still coming out of the comm in a consistent volume of shouts. From what I could get from the buzz, they were pulling out. Another van arrived to pick up the team.