"This Is Julian, My Boyfriend" (Part 9)

I swallowed back my nerves as my throat began to constrict. My hands struggled to keep a hold of his, as they were laced in a nervous sweat. Julian was everything to me, and I desperately wanted my family to like him. Already, I could picture their reactions; I’d moved too fast, I should have told them earlier, I didn’t wait long enough after Tim, they knew absolutely nothing about this boy standing in front of them. Lately, it felt as if I’d been living two completely separate lives. Sensing my anxiety, Julian gently squeezed my hand and my mood lightened; he always knew how to make things better. As we approached my family, I took one look at the boy beside me and my face radiated with happiness. Julian was perfection, and he was all mine.

“Dad, Mum and Felicity, this is Julian, my boyfriend.” God their faces were priceless.

He stayed for dinner that night, and I was glad. His presence immediately elevated the mood wherever he went, and as per usual, Julian captivated everyone through his sweet charm and charismatic personality. My family seemed impressed and took quickly to liking him. I was ecstatic; the four people I cared about most in my life were getting along like a house on fire. Nothing could possibly outdo this feeling. (*SONG IN SIDEBAR*) I was on top of the world, and glancing at Julian, I was fairly sure that the feeling was mutual.

“You cheated!”

His all-encompassing laugh filled my lounge room, “I did not!”

True, I just didn’t like losing, and it seemed as though Julian was good at everything, including video games. “Play again?”

His hand snaked its way around my waist, pulling me tight against his chest. My neck tingled as he softly placed his lips against my skin. His whisper was barely audible. “Oh it’s on babe!”

I was living the dream with Julian. He loved me, and treated me exactly how any girl should be treated; like a princess. There was no doubt in my mind that we were soul mates. Each and every day I spent with him was nothing but incredible. My whole world had changed for the better. Looking back on that first day we’d met I couldn’t help but laugh at how ridiculous I’d been for running away from Julian. Our relationship was picture-perfect, and I was finally happy again. But, deep down, I couldn’t shake the feeling that he was hiding something from me.