"Relax, I've Just Been Busy" (Part 10)

I suppose I was right, because as the days drifted past I seemed to be seeing less of Julian. We used to be practically inseparable, and now what? A handful of dates here and there? Inadequate messages about how much he missed me? A whole lot of promises tossed aside without a single care, justification, or apology? I wasn’t completely sure if I was simply looking for an easy out before I could get hurt again. After all, my heart still hadn’t fully recovered from what Tim had done. But my gut told me that something just wasn’t right.

-Julian, we need to talk.

My head throbbed and my body ached; I was conflicted. I desperately wanted to give Julian the benefit of the doubt, yet at the same time I had to protect myself. True, it wasn’t fair on him to jump to such irrational conclusions after he had been more than amazing. Though, all the signs pointed to some form of betrayal.

-I’ll meet you at yours in 20? Love you :)

Like it or not, my whole world was about to change. I was absolutely petrified.

[JULIAN’S POV]

My love for Elena was both undeniable and eternal. Sure, you could say that it had come on quite suddenly and was growing rapidly. But nothing could even compete with the exhilaration I developed around her. A warm tingle seeped through my body the instant she smiled, giggled, or even mumbled a word. She brought meaning to my life. My feelings were officially on overdrive, and I was completely fine with that, because I couldn’t imagine being without her. She was that ‘one true love’ everyone raved about, and I never wanted to lose her.

The second I’d walked in the door I could sense the unsettling tension. My mind raced as she anxiously fiddled with her hands and, hurtfully, avoided all eye contact.

“Julian, what have you been doing for the past month or so? You’re never around anymore.”

“Relax, I’ve just been busy.” I wrapped her in my arms, but couldn’t help notice that she never returned the hug. I was in deep shit.

“Busy? With what?” Her stutter was unbearable. I hated lying to her.

Music was my absolute passion, singing in particular. My family was incredibly supportive of me and for that I was truly grateful. I know it probably sounded cliché and ridiculous, but ultimately I wanted to become a singer. I knew it would take a lot of hard work and dedication. But, practice makes perfect, and that’s what I had been doing for the past month, as ‘The X Factor’ auditions were approaching. I figured I stood a chance and could quite possibly get somewhere. Deep down, I knew Elena would be more than thrilled to be behind me the entire way. I wanted her support, but I was insecure about getting through the audition stage. So I decided that I wouldn’t tell her until I knew for certain that I’d made it.

“Nothing important.”

Frustration and hurt swarmed in her eyes, but I just couldn’t bring myself to tell her. I didn’t want to risk the chance of becoming a failure in her eyes, and honestly, what harm could this secret really do?