Chapter 2

*JACE*

I walked into through the institute doors with Clary limp in my arms, but I could hear her heartbeat. It felt strong and was in sync with mine. Izzy, Alec and Magnus ran to me.

"By the angel." Izzy said, her words almost a whisper.

"Jace. What are you doing? You can't just abduct her?" Alec stopped me from walking any further and looked me straight in the eyes.

"Trust me, you're gonna wanna hear this." I pushed past him and went to my room. The door creaked, alarming me that the others weren't far behind. I laid Clary on my bed and pulled the covers up, Kissing her head a tear fell from my eye. After an entire year, the angels had answered my prayers. I saw them waiting at the door so I left the room, to see Izzy leaning opposite the door waiting for a very good explanation. 

"Wh-what happened?" she barely made out as tears threatened to pour out. Simon arrived with Luke and they all surrounded me.

"I was at the exhibition of her art work, glamoured. She was speaking to somebody but then made eye contact with me. Obviously I thought I was going crazy but she called me and began walking toward me. Knowing very well that this was bad news, I ran out but she followed me and called out my name, saying she knows me. Then she recognised my rune and before I could make an exit, she passed out. Guys, she has the sight again." All their eyes were filled with tears until Magnus spoke.

"Can I just check if she's okay? Even if she is coming back to us, this could send her brain into shock." I nodded and followed after him into the room. Magnus wasted no time in waving his hands over her head with orange smoke following them whilst I tried reading his face for any info.

"She's going to be fine but as I suspected, she's fallen into shock so is in a coma-like state. Jace, she'll wake up in her own time and if all goes well, she will have back her memories." He patted my back and I smiled gratefully at him. I haven't smiled in a year.

It was a couple hours later, most people were asleep but I had to be there when she woke up so I sat there reading over the piece of paper she left for me a year ago. I was in my own world when I was pulled out of my deep thoughts by a knock on the door. Alec peeped his head in and signalled for me to follow him. I placed the letter on the table by my bed and looked at Clary one last time before walking to his office.

"What is it?"

"I need you to go on mission to-"

"No Alec. You know I can't leave her." I interrupted bluntly.

"Jace, we've confirmed she'll be back with us soon. And you know she's safe here, Luke won't leave her side so you have to go." I sighed, knowing I couldn't argue any further and nodded for him to continue.

"The seelies have finally agreed to speak to us so we can discuss our alliance. I must warn you to be careful with your words because they still don't have a queen after Jonathan killed their last. They have agreed to let you stay, Maia will be there representing the werewolves as will Magnus on behalf of the Warlocks. The trip should last a few days cause you need to tell them what's happened over this year. You and Underhill will leave tomorrow morning and that's an order."

"If anything happens with Clary, you tell me first." I warned him with a serious tone. 

"I will, but remember to stay focused on task. The seelies have made no contact with anyone in a year as a representation of their grief. Don't mess this up. I believe Meliorn will be representing them."

"Wait, just send Izzy. She'd be able to get through to Meliorn more than I can anyways."

"Izzy needs to be here, she's still in charge of weapons here. I also don't want her to be distracted by her past with him. You're the best person for this and I want regular updates on the progress made. I'll also invite Catarina to stay here, she can keep an eye on Clary with her medical knowledge and magic if anything goes wrong cause Magnus will be with you."

"I'll go. Just don't let anything happen to her. You know I couldn't bare any more of this." Alec nodded, understanding that I truly will lose my will to live if she doesn't return.

I shut the door behind me as I walked towards my room. Clary lay there peacefully and I fell asleep beside her, knowing that she was safe and finally coming back to me. After a year, this was the first time I'd fallen asleep without either trashing my room, having a nightmare or crying. 

Sunlight beamed through my window in the morning and I could hear people chatting away in the food court. My legs slowly slid off the edge of the bed and landed on the cold wooden panelled floor, a shiver sent through my body. My hand came in contact with Clary's skin as I pulled the covers back over her. But I saw something. Lifting them back up, I saw that her Angelic rune had returned. The level of happiness I was at was indescribable, especially considering I'm not a morning person and without any hesitation I ran out to where everyone was having breakfast. Alec saw how alarmed I was.

"What is it?" he asked, causing the room to fall silent and all eyes to fall on me.

"Clary. Her Angelic rune. It's back." Everyone smiled and people began cheering that the angels had heard our prayers. If only she knew how much everyone loved her. 

"How?" Izzy asked with a smile plastered across her face.

"I was pulling the covers over her and just as I my hand touched her skin, it traced back the Angelic rune." 

"It must be your angelic connection." Magnus non-nonchalantly pointed out whilst shovelling some porridge into his mouth. A smile made its way to my face as I walked back to the room for the mission. Now that I knew she was definitely coming back, I knew I had to go out on this mission, I wanted to make her proud.