Chapter 29

Okay, so Chuck and Juliet wouldn't let me rest last night or today so you have another chapter now. A few answers are coming, but the next chapter is where a lot of drama and answers are coming. I will do early unlock for 75 comments and 175 votes. I haven't edited yet, honestly, I've barely managed to get this whirlwind from my head to paper, but enjoy my darlings!!! <3

This is dedicated to Seikaphoenix because she created this incredible cover.  I want to say a special thank you to her, because she freaking rocks!!!!!  

Chapter 29

Chuck came back in, and I had no concept of how much time had passed. "Juliet, you doing any better?"

I glanced at him and glared.

"Don't be angry with me." Chuck soothed as he sat beside me. "You're going to want to get up."

"Why?"

"There are some familiar faces here to see you."

"What do you mean?"

"You'll have to get up to see. Come on, get up, wash your face, you'll feel better." I slowly pushed myself up. "There's a girl." Chuck smiled.

"What do you mean familiar faces?"

"Get up, come and see."

I let myself get up and splashed some water on my face. I looked a mess. I finger combed my hair and then pulled it into a ponytail and went back out. "Who's here?"

"Come on,"

Chuck led me downstairs and I froze when I saw Luca and Marcus sitting there. "Why are they here?"

"They're here on behalf of Xavier."

"Where's Xavier?"

"I couldn't trust him in person. So I've allowed him to be represented."

"Why are you here Luca?" I demanded. "Aren't you the reason I'm here?"

Luca gave me a sad smile. "My sister is the reason you are here. If you'll remember, I tried to warn you."

I thought back and realized he was right. "So, it was just Chiara?"

Luca shook his head. "No, she just became entangled in someone else's mess. When my father's business had some trouble my mother suggested help from her family. My mother has some rather nefarious connections. She has used them to ensure our family's success no matter the cost to others. There was a time when I looked forward to taking over my family's company, now I want nothing to do with it, for obvious reasons. Chiara rose to the challenge. She thought me ungrateful for throwing it back in my father's face and, in her eyes, throwing it all away. Now that she's in too deep, she understands. She will never get out."

"So what, you guys are like the mafia or something?"

"Luca's grandfather is an old friend of my father." Chuck offered.

"Luca, how exactly do you play into all of this?"

"I'm here on behalf of your grandfather. Rest easy knowing he is not connected to any illegal dealings. I came because Giovanni trusts me and odds are Chuck will not kill me. Marcus is here because Xavier does not trust me and Marcus is more trouble to kill than it's worth." Marcus grunted at that remark to what I could only assume was agreement.

Chuck openly laughed then. "Oh too true! It would be bad business to kill the grandson of a colleague."

"Where's Xavier?"