three

chapter three Amnesia

chapter three
Amnesia

Ray returned from her ride mid day, the sun was in the middle of the sky but it wasn't that hot yet. The wind from riding Nelly kept Ray cool. But now she was back at the stables and leading the older horse to the watering bucket.

The ride helped Ray feel better about coming home and offered her peace. She did feel at peace for a second. She felt like she should. Though she always felt like she should feel one way and should think one way. 

"Here, old girl." Ray said to the horse as she fed her sugar cubes.

It was in that moment that she heard footsteps. They were quiet, scoffing over the hay ridden hardwood floor. But Ray didn't recognize them.

A man turned the corner, holding a large bale of hay with just one hand. He was dressed in jeans and a dark hoodie, cloves covered his hands. He had dark hair, hanging to near his shoulders. Ray recognized him as the one that didn't look at her in the truck earlier.

Ray didn't know what to say. Their eyes met for a brief moment. She nodded at him, slightly, and he went on his way.

The woman turned back to the horse. "I don't know how I feel about all these people around."

"Maybe it's because you spent so much time with all those city slickers."

Cory was standing on the loft above. He was staring down at his cousin with a smile. He had missed her terribly in the time that she spent away. They were the same age, and spent their lives together. They were best friends.

"I don't think so." Ray felt awkward talking to her cousin in the presence of a stranger. She hated talking about herself in general.

"Come on, Ray. You were in D.C. for years. After the accident, you spent more time there then you did here." Cory thought it was all a joke.

Ray didn't know what to say.

Cory climbed down the later and walked over the his cousin, watching as she groomed the horse. Cory felt for her. He knew she had a pain in her heart that she felt every day.

"We should do something fun, to celebrate you coming back."

Ray looked at the stranger. He wasn't looking but she could tell he was listening. Then she turned to her cousin. "I don't know. I just want time to myself. I don't want to really do anything."

"Have you stopped taking your meds?"

Ray glared at him. "Why is it that anytime I show any emotion, people assume I'm off my meds?"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that." And it was true. Cory didn't mean to hurt her. He was concerned about her. He always was.

"No, no one ever does." Ray pulled the saddle off the horse and set it on the rack. "You know, my roommate found my pills once. Thought I was a psycho or whatever. You know she actually called the police on me? Can you imagine my humility when I had to explain to the cops that I wasn't on drugs. Or well, I guess I am."

"Have you stopped taking them?"

"No! God Cory, you can be such an asshole sometimes."

"I have to ask. I care about you."

"Really? Then why did not one of you visit me while I was away at school? Some family you are. Best friends and cousins since birth, but I can't even remember a Goddamn thing! So just shut the fuck up and leave me alone."

Cory only sighed. He didn't know what else to do. He didn't know what to say. So he raised his hands in defeat and backed away, out of the barn and out of the paddock.

Ray sighed and kicked her foot against the wall. It didn't hurt, it barely was felt at all. She was frustrated and felt things she didn't know what to make of. She was told one thing but felt another. She never knew what to think.

She had lied to Cory. She had stopped taking her pills.

Frustrated tears slipped past her eyes and it only worsened her mood. She hated crying over nothing. She always cried when she was angry.

"Are you alright?" The deep voice belonged to the stranger Bailey brought home today. In truth, the Winter Soldier did not necessarily care about the girl or her feelings. Not until she heard her say something about not remembering.

Ray looked at him. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"You are crying."

"No, I'm not." Ray denied it. She took a breath and wiped the wet tears from her cheek. Then she looked at the man. "Who even are you? This town only has like three hundred people in it and I know basically everybody. How'd your sorry ass end up in Maple Wood?"

The man stood still. He didn't know what to say. "I don't know. I can't remember."

Ray looked at him with squinted eyes. "Are you making fun of me?"

"What?"

The woman didn't say anything. She knew she was just angry and taking it out on the man. "Sorry. What can't you remember?"

The Winter Soldier didn't say anything for a moment. Small flashes of past memories blurred together and he shut his eyes quickly. "Nothing."

"You got into an accident or somethin'?" Ray asked. She realized that she was a hypocrite. She hated when people asked about hers.

The man didn't say anything; Ray figured as much. "Well what's your name?"

The Winter Solider thought for a moment. The memories still flashing by. But one stuck out more than most, even though he couldn't tell if it was real or not.

"My name is Bucky."

Ray nodded. "Well Bucky, welcome to the Smith farm. I'm sure Bailey will treat you well here."

And then she walked out of the barn, with no intention on talking the man again.