xxvii. GOODBYE

"Welcome to Hawkins, Indiana, a wonderful place to grow up, to raise your family, to walk your dog." The man on the television narrated as they play clips of actual people in Hawkins. Charles sighed, looking at his grandparents who stared at the television screen. "But then..." They then play a clip a reporter got of the mall.

      "On July Fourth, everything changed. A terrible tragedy struck this small town." The man said and Charles walked over to the tv right as they show a newspaper article about Hopper. He turns it off right away and turned to his grandparents who both look up at him right away, worried.

"She died.. trying to save Hopper." He mumbled and his grandma looked down. He looks away, sighing as he ran his fingers through his hair. "Um.. Anyway, uh.. I should go and help the Byers, is that okay? They're leaving today." He says.

"Yeah, go on sweetheart."

      Sure enough, Charles did, pedalling down the road on that sunny morning. Charles had a lot on his mind as he drove, he was always in that state of mind now, ever since that night in July. Joyce didn't tell him until recently what happened.

She told him that they tried to close the gate, but one of those Russian men showed up and tried to stop them, and then that Hopper had to fight him, and that they ended up by the gate. She told him about his mom running out to go and help Hopper, that she hit that Russian man and he fell into the gate, killing him, but that it caused some sort of malfunction that stopped them from going back.

Joyce told him that she had to close the gate on her own, that she had to close the gate even if it killed them and Charles, despite crying, told her that he understood. That it was for the best. Even if it costed them Hopper's and Sarah's life.

He got to the Byers home soon enough and was met with Will who walked out the home, holding a box that was labeled WILL'S STUFF. "Hi." He said and took the box right away, smiling.

     "Hi.." Will said and watched as Charles walks over to the truck, setting it inside before he turned to Will, biting his bottom lip. He's been preparing himself since the day Will told him but somehow now, facing Will, on this day where he and his family were leaving with El, was hard for him.

    "Come on.. I need help in my room.." Will said, grabbing Charles' hand gently. Charles followed right away, sighing softly. The week prior was them starting to pack but they were finishing up today with the party's help and it was nice.

     "Hi Charles." Max waved as they walk by the livingroom. "Hi.." Charles waved and looked back at Will who now leads him down the hall. Down the hall, the last room, the only room, to the right. Entering the empty bedroom felt surreal to Charles. All those years they knew each other.

     Charles felt his throat sort of clench, and the back of his eyes sting as Will lets go of his hand. But he wasn't crying. He promised himself he wouldn't cry, not today when Will was gonna be leaving. He walks in, stopping in the middle.

     Will holds up a box, "uh.. do you think I should donate this?" He asked and Charles looked at the box. It was a D&D box. He sits down next to Will. "Yeah.. If you want." He whispered before looking up at Will who set it to the side and leaned over, kissing Charles who kissed back right away.

      Ever since the everything happened in July, they spent a lot of time together. Either in Will's room, in Charles' room or anywhere else they dubbed a safe place/environment for them.

      They both really loved spending the past three months together, but Charles didn't like that it was all gonna be gone soon, that all that he would have would be Mike, Lucas, Dustin and Max. Sure they were great friends, amazing friends but they weren't Will Byers. His best friend. His boyfriend.