Part 3 : Date Gone Wrong

|| Anya||

Over the last few months my life has been nothing short of a rollercoaster ride. I wasn't over Dad's reports yet and then my life dropped the marriage bomb on me. I talked to Dad this morning and he said he had a surprise for me and that I need to be home for lunch. Dad's surprises can either make you feel on cloud nine or give you a heart stroke, I was praying for the former.

I parked the car outside the gate and rang the bell. Mom opened the door gave me a smile which I returned. As I made my way inside I saw Aryan, Dad and an unknown man sitting in the living. All of them started smiling looking at me making me feel awkward. I just smiled and went upstairs to my room. I had a gut feeling that it's something related to me. They only person who could tell me what is happening is Aryan so I immediately texted him.

Come to my room. NOW!

Aryan is a quick reader of the texts he receives and as expected he came to my within seconds.

"C'mon Di we live in the same house, why do you need to text?" He asks.

"Well I could've asked you to come with me but those stares were making me uncomfortable" I say and he laughs.

"Who's that man? I've never seen him before, he doesn't seem to be some relative of ours" I say.

"He isn't. He's Dad's school time friend and.." he stopped. "And?" I asked.

"Your future father-in-law" he said.

"WHAT?!" I screamed. "Don't shout they'll hear you" he whispered. How is this possible? I talked to Dad last night and he managed to find a guy for me overnight. So this was Dad's surprise.

I was sitting on my bed in disbelief when Aryan's phone started ringing. He received the call and said, "Hello".
And after few seconds he said, "okay we're coming". We?

"We need to go downstairs" he said and hanging up. "Why?" I asked, "your father-in-law wants to meet you" he replied. Shit. Why? We moved downstairs and again everyone was staring me.

"Good luck" Aryan whispered in my ear and moved to the kitchen. Dad and the man stood up and came towards me.

"She's Anya, my daughter" Dad introduced me to him.

"Hello Anya, I'm Lakhwinder Gill" he forwarded his hand to shake. We shook hands and he said, "good to meet you"

"Good to meet you too sir" I smiled. "Let's have a chat guys" Dad announced. Oh no, why do I need to talk?

"I don't think that's necessary" Lakhwinder uncle smiled. Thank God! "Did you tell her about tonight's plan?" He asked. Wait, what plan?

"No, not yet" Dad replied and then turned to me. "Well Anya, me and Lakhwinder have planned a dinner for you two tonight" he said.

"Two?" I asked. "For you and my son, we can't move forward without taking your nods" Lakhwinder uncle laughed. Why so early? We don't even know each other. I don't want to go.

"Umm.. I'm sorry but I can't go tonight, I've a meeting till 7" I lied.

"It's okay, Shub has practice till 7, you can meet at 7:30" Uncle said. Looks like I don't have any other option. The entire universe wants me to meet this guy Shub whom I don't even know. God save me!