Chapter Nine

In upstate New York, Rhodey is talking to the hologram of Secretary Ross.

"Still no word from Vision?"

"Satellites lost him somewhere over Edinburgh."

"On a stolen Quinjet with four of the world's most wanted criminals."

"You know they're only criminals because you've chosen to call them that, right, sir?"

"My God, Rhodes, your talent for horseshit rivals my own."

"If it weren't for those Accords, Vision would've been right here."

"I remember your signature on those papers, Colonel."

"That's right. And I'm pretty sure I've paid for that." He says bitterly, referencing his leg braces. 

"You have second thoughts?"

"Not anymore." He replies as the fugitive Avengers enter, Sam helping Vision walk.

"Mr. Secretary." Steve says as Ross turns away from Rhodey and walks towards the five of them.

"You got some nerve. I'll give you that."

"You could use some of that right now." Natasha replies.

"The world's on fire. And you think, all is forgiven?"

"I'm not looking for forgiveness. And I'm way past asking for permission. Earth just lost her best defender. So we're here to fight." Steve takes a step forward, looking right at Ross, "And if you wanna stand in our way... we'll fight you, too."

"Arrest them."

"All over it." Rhodey swipes off hologram and the computer beeps twice, "That's a court-martial. It's great to see you, Cap."

"You too, Rhodey." Steve replies, embracing Rhodey. 

"Well. You guys really look like crap. Must've been a rough couple of years." 

"Yeah, well, the hotels weren't exactly five star."

"Uh, I think you look great." Rhodes and Natasha turn round to see Bruce walking in from the opposite end of the room. "Uh... heh... Yeah. I'm back."

"Hi, Bruce."

"Nat."

"This is awkward." Sam whispers.

---

"So we gotta assume they're coming back, right?"

"And they can clearly find us." I reply

"We need all hands on deck. Where's Clint?"

"After the whole Accords situation, he and Scott took a deal. It was too tough on their families, they're on house arrest."

"Who's Scott?"

"Ant-Man."

"There's an Ant-Man and a Spider-Man? Okay, look... Thanos has the biggest army in the universe. And he is not gonna stop until he... he gets... Vision's Stone".

"Well then, we have to protect it."

"No, we have to destroy it." Everyone looks towards Vision, "I've been giving a good deal of thought to this entity in my head, about its nature. But also, its composition." He turns towards Wanda, "I think if it were exposed to a sufficiently powerful energy source, something, very similar to its own signature, perhaps... its molecular integrity could fail." 

"And you, with it. We're not having this conversation."

"Eliminating the stone is the only way to be certain that Thanos can't get it."