Chapter Eleven

The fight has improved considerably with the addition of the God of Thunder. M'Baku and his tribesmen bash Outriders to the ground. Thor flies through the air, using Stormbringer on the retreating Outrider ships. He is having considerably more success than the Wakandan Dragon fliers firing on the fleeing ships.

"Are you okay?" I ask as I land besides Vision. He flinches in pain before he can answer, "What? What is it?"

"He's here." The wind picks up and the team look around in confusion.

"Everyone, on my position. We have incoming."

"What the hell?"

Bruce sees the blue-black clouds of a Space Stone relocation just before Thanos steps forward, and confirms this isn't just another member of the Black Order, "Cap. That's him."

"Eyes up. Stay sharp." Bruce reaches Thanos first and lunges forwards, but Thanos uses the Space Stone on him. He becomes semi-transparent and phases through Thanos, before being half-buried in the stone of the cliff behind him. Steve is sent flying by purple energy before he even gets to strike a single blow. T'Challa, armor fully charged kinetically, leaps high and with claws extended, but is easily grabbed by the throat and punched to the ground, his armor discharging violently. Sam stoops, strafing with both Steyr pistols, but falls down when his wings become rubbery and unable to sustain flight.

"Wanda, it's time."

"No."

"They can't stop him, Wanda, but we can. Look at me. You have the power to destroy the stone."

"Don't."

"You must do it. Wanda, please. We. Are. Out of time."

"I can't."

"Yes, you can. You can. If he gets the stone, half the universe dies."

"It's not fair."

"It shouldn't be you, but it is. It's all right. You could never hurt me. I just... feel you." My hands begin to tremble as I extend my right hand and send scarlet energy towards my lover. 

Rhodey joins the fight to defend against me and Vision. He fires at Thanos repeatedly until a blue glow begins to crush his armor around him and toss him aside. Bucky runs in, firing his gun, and is punched away by the Power Stone. Okoye activates the Vibranium-powered elements on her spear and flings it. The Power Stone stops it inches from Thanos, who throws her and it aside while wrapping Natasha in spikes created from the Earth. Groot stabs his hands into the ground to wrap Thanos in cables of roots, which he breaks easily.

I watch over one shoulder before turning back to Vision. I turn my left hand around to try and speed up the process, tears falling from my eyes.

Steve slides under one blow and stands up, swinging his deployed arm-shields, punching Thanos in the gut and chin. He grabs the gauntlet, keeping Thanos' fingers un-clenched. Thanos looks very briefly impressed at Captain America's efforts as he screams before slamming a fist into his head, rendering him unconcious.

I look behind me and see Thanos approaching. I instantly swing one hand around and a bolt of scarlet energy begins to push him backwards as it conflicts with the purple energy shield forming from his gauntlet.

"It's all right. It's all right. I love you." At those words, the stone cracks and his face fills with joyful peace. He knows he's saved the world.

"I understand, my child. Better than anyone."

"You could never." I snarl back as anger bubbles inside of me. I feel him put his hand on my head in comfort and cringe at the thought.

"Today, I lost more than you can know. But now is no time to mourn. Now... is no time at all." He waves a hand across Vision, several emerald green rings surrounding his wrist. In response, a bead of yellow light starts gathering in on itself as time is reversed and growing in size, solidifying into an intact and conscious Vision.