Chapter 2: Asher and Alexia First Birthday

Reese's POV

In their new home...

Time seems to fly by and stand still at the same time without me even noticing what the hell is going on. Moving was an absolute joy and a nightmare at the same time. My fear of something happening to my family kept eating at my overly sensitive nerves. Eventually, I built up enough courage to take responsibility for my family. I knew this time without a doubt that I was not going to let them down again.

I wandered into the immaculate predominantly white kitchen. The floors were done in a water resistance shiny red oak hardwood. In the middle of the kitchen sat a long oak island with a white marble countertop and six white stools. White wrap-around cabinets took up most of the walls in the kitchen with the matching countertop the same as the island. A beautiful oak china cabinet were nestled in between a stainless steel stovetop oven and a stainless steel side by side ice maker fridge.

In the expansive breakfast nook, huge bay windows were on all three sides. In the dead center sat an enormous oval oak dining table with twelve oak chairs with white cushions. A white embroidery run was placed ran down the center of the table. Hanging over the table was a crystal chandelier that sparkled magnificently when the evening sun graced it with it's presence. The walls were done in a pale gray with white borders.

Purple, blue and silver balloons lined the wall in the kitchen. A few were tied to the door handle leading out to the patio outback. Walking leisurely outside I instantly notice purple and blue confetti spread out everywhere. Next, in the center of the patio, I spotted a large purple and silver carriage with blue balloons tied to each door. Off to the side stood a life-size wood carving nutcracker dressed in a blue tuxedo, silver tie, and a purple handkerchief.  

Two beautiful cakes sat in the middle of the table beside the carriage. They both were a large sheet cake. One cake was decorated in purple and silver icing with a small silver carriage in the center. The other one was decorated in blue and silver icing with a matching smaller nutcracker as the larger one placed in the center. A live band stood close by playing different kids music.

I must admit that the decorations for Asher and Alexia first birthday looked spectacular thanks to my two mom. They were tasked with taking on this massive project and pulled it off wonderfully.

As I walked leisurely back into the kitchen both of legs we're being tackled by Alexia and Asher. They both tugged on my pants' legs cheerfully.

"Wow, you guys miss daddy already?" I asked squatting to their level and swoop them up in my arms at once. Kissing them on the cheek, I then raced around the living holding them snugly in my arms. Making a car noise with my mouth as I keep running Alexia let out a boisterous fit of laughter. Suddenly Asher joins in with his own booming laughter. Hearing my son laugh so heartily sent a wave of strumming through my whole body. Hearing his laughter is a rare treasure to anyone that knows him.

Asher and his sister are like night and day. Even the sparkle in their eyes is completely different. Looking into Asher is like looking into a raging thunderstorm on the brink of flooding, ready to devour any unsuspecting invader. Alexia on the other hand eyes is like the radiant sun shining brightly giving off hope and happiness.

Alexia eyes and smile sparked the same way as her mother. My princess hardly ever cries unless she can't have her way yet again like her mom. She likes to tug on the ends of my hair whenever I'm not paying her enough attention. 

Asher eyes look lost and at times lonely. Every so often his eyes reflect that of a lost child wandering in the dark searching for it's other half. His heart-wrenching cries feel like someone taking a pair of pliers and ripping my heart out each time. The only way that anyone can get him to settle down when he's like that is to place him in his mother's arms. His cries stop instantly as her caresses Avery face with his small hand. His smile is the brightest when he's in her presence. 

I often have to let Asher sleep nestled between Avery and me. Alexia enjoys being in her own bed every night.

I felt a slight poke on each side of my cheeks from both Asher and Alexia as they continued laughing. Their actions instantly snapped me back to reality.

"Reese boy you better not drop my grandbabies" my mom call out to me with a stern look. She quickly dashes into the kitchen with her arms full of presents before could utter a word about them. If mom, Emily, and Mrs. Johnson keep this up then there won't be any room for anyone to move around freely.

"Why isn't my nephew dressed?" Emily demanded standing before me and taking Alexia out of my arm.

"Emily, what have you bought my daughter?" I asked ignoring her question while at the same time eyeing the three huge bags in her other hand.

"Everything that a princess needs for her special day!" Emily responds gleefully and walked up the stairs.

Taking Asher I walked into the temporary bedroom that Avery and I are occupying. Our bedroom is nestled in between my office, the kitchen and directly across from the twins' room.

Placing Asher on the bed beside his mother over to the massive walk-in closet and grabbed his and my outfit for today. Place in the bags at the foot of the bed I stood there watching my son caress his mother's face before kissing her on the cheek. 

Turning slowly I walked to the adjoining bathroom and began to fill the tub with water. My heart constricted in my chest when I hear ma fall from my son's lip. I dashed out of the bathroom like it was on fire. I stopped dead in my tracks after seeing the love of my life lying there smiling at our son with tears in her eyes. 

I fell to my knees praying and thanking God for sending her back to us...

Greeting my readers please vote and comment on how you feel about this chapter. I'm sorry if it disappointed anyone but I wanted it to concentrate most on the twins and their differences. One child seems to be striving own her own while the other misses a mother touch. Thank you for reading my story.