Chapter 1: Secret Surveillance

They looked unassuming. But then again, heroes always did.

     Target One. Sophia Thomas. He took in every single detail from his observation with much scrutiny. She had dark skin, theshade of bronze so familiar, reminding him of lost love. A 19-year-old, with wavy locks of brown hair and red highlights bouncing on her shoulders contemplating her deep blue irises. Unlike the others, she had thick, meaty thighs, plump hips and a round, chubby face. Not so much that people would call 'obese' but a little on the plump side nevertheless.

     The large mischievous grin on her face could be seen from miles away, even without his binoculars. When the Latina spoke, she waved her arms with flamboyance. No accent, though. The result of being a minority without the colour of her culture. When she spoke, she made the whole world hear her. That voice was nothing if not a loudspeaker turned on with the highest setting.

     Target Two. Ashton Kennedy walked alongside her, listening to Sophia with one side of his mouth upturned into an amused smirk. The teenage boy was tall and lean, so much so Sophia Thomas resorted to craning her neck to meet his eyes. His rugged blond hair resembled an uneven mess; as though his hairdresser was a toddler carrying a pair of safety scissors. Girls and boys stared as he passed by, but Ashton, of course, remained oblivious. His tanned skin appeared darker under the blazing Sun. No stubble or beard, his jaw sharp and defined. The only abnormality was his eyes, an alluring combination of grey with a hint of green; holding a certain enigma to the target the man longed to uncover.

     Target Three. An Asian girl trailed behind them. Etsuki Haru. Not as tall as the others but a few inches higher than the dwarf Sophia. Unlike his first two targets, she was scowling. Always is. The pair of scarlet red contact lenses enhanced her intimidating demeanour, earning odd looks from strangers walking past. Choppy black hair with violet purple highlights covered most of her pale face. Earphones nestled snugly in her ears, loud rock music drowning out the world.

     Two girls were engrossed in conversation. Target Four and Five. Rosemary Storm. Black hair lifted into a ponytail, swinging as she walked. Icy blue irises stood out against her fair skin. Bony arms and legs. She held two books in her hand, even though she carried a backpack. Whenever she smiled, her dimples showed. The girl had a habit of reaching out every few minutes to straighten out her clothes. He didn't know why.

     Violet Snow merely smiled at her friend as they conversed. Even that little action looked like it hurt her. Makeup and a long-sleeved cardigan with leggings hid scars and bruises. He couldn't see them, they were there. Violet had eyes as dark as coal, darker than most eyes. They appeared sunken too. Her skin-or parts he could see- were paler than normal, a sickly white that was a result of malnutrition. She was quiet, only spoke when spoken too. Too quiet. 

     At a glance, the group looked like nobodies. And they were. But not to him.

      These five teenagers were the key to his plan. Twelve years ago, he brought them together. Twelve years later, he still sets the pieces of his plan in motion for the Awakening.