Chapter 9: Super Important, But Has A Dumb Name

The man stood by his window, a clear glass pane, overlooking the puny mortals of New York City from the 65th floor of the skyscraper. He stood there, but his mind roamed elsewhere. Pondering.

      Luxury, beautiful women, fame and all the power he'd ever wanted were at the tip of his fingertips. And yet, there was one more thing he desperately wanted to claim for his own. 

      Everlasting life. 

      For years, he had scoured high and low in search of the Holy Grail. After centuries of waiting, it was almost his. No one would stand in his way. Already, hundreds of mortals and supernaturals had sacrificed their lives for The Cause.....his Cause.

      He smiled wickedly and seated himself on his chair in his large office, one nearly the size of a football field. The landline on his desk blinked and a timid female voice spoke out from the receiver. "Sir, I have a Mr Sam here to see you."

      Finally. "Send him in."

      A man the size of Colossus stepped into the room. The Caucasian wore a simple black trench coat over his outfit with boots that gleamed spotlessly. "Denisovich. A pleasure." Despite his words, the man's face was void of any emotions.

      The other man, clearly amused, replied. "Ah...Uncle Sarlov. Have a seat."

      Both men studied each other in silence until Denisiovich leaned back in his chair. "Have you heard word of the Grail?"

      "Not really. But we have a lead. The Piece can show us how to create it. However-"

      Denisovich sprang up abruptly, extremely ecstatic. "The Piece! Of course! The legendary map. Why haven't we thought of that sooner?"

      "However....." Sarlov insisted. "Our scouts have reported that the Piece is currently under the ownership of the Romano family. We may have a business connection to them, but they will not give it up willingly. Not for us."

      The enthusiastic Denisiovich snorted. "The hunters?! BAH! Stealing from them is a challenge, but not impossible. They're no match for me and my army." He laughed maniacally, pleased at how well his plan was shaping.

(Two weeks later.....)

Violet wished she and her friends weren't invited to Ava Romano's 18th birthday party. 

      Then, they wouldn't have had to go to Ava's house. They wouldn't have to meet Mr Romano. They wouldn't have to mingle with other Romanos or friends who might be hunters as well.

      But alas, that was exactly what they were doing. As Adrian kept repeating to the girls, they had gotten close to the girl over two weeks and not turning up would be rude and suspicious. However, the visit was not completely a waste of their time. Quite the opposite.

      Adrian brought this up to them last week. "I don't know how we forgot about this, it's the literal textbook answer to your problem of finding out for sure if you are the Big Five or not. Back in the days, The Piece was a legendary map that could lead you to your heart's desire."

      "Super important, but has a dumb name." Ashton snorted.

      Logan glared at the blond before picking up from where Adrian stopped. "There are special training places the Big Five set up around the world, where they plan wars or meditate or retreat. We get there and we can know for sure, maybe even find a way to kickstart your abilities."