Chapter 14: The Awakening (Part 2)

Violet had no recollection of passing out. First, there was smoke. Then came the heavy ball of dread. Then came her father.

     He looked mad with rage, the evil gleam in his eyes shining. The belt in his hand dripped with blood. Hers. 

      Lachine Auctoritas approached closer. Violet tried to inch away but her back hit a wall. There was nowhere to run. She whipped her head around in desperation for a way, anyway, to escape. Nowhere to run. She looked around. They were back at their old apartment in New York. Nowhere to run.

       Her mother, Lillian Snow stood a few feet from her husband. 

      Beside her watching in glee, was Adrian Crimson.

     How was it possible? Her mother died ten years ago in a car crash. And why wasn't she protecting Violet, like she always did? And Adrian.....what was he doing?

     "Why-" She began but cried out in pain when the belt flashed against her tender skin.

     "You idiot!" Lachine roared and struck her again across her back. The pain blinded the raven, attempting to consume her and everything she was. Her father kicked her in the gut and Violet felt all the air rush out of her.

     Don't cry, Violet. Experience taught her tears only angered him.

     Lachine now held a kitchen knife and dug it into her thigh. She couldn't see, the blurriness of her vision focusing her to the blood gushing out from her legs.

     Don't cry.

      Violet, who lay lifelessly on the floor used all her physical strength to stagger back up to her feet. Her left calf bled continuously, and her breaths became more painful by the minute. She faced her father again.

     Lachine grinned. "You don't know when to quit, do you, bitch?!" He grabbed her by the waist and threw her to the ground.

     I can't take it...

     She howled in pain, hearing cracks in her body and feeling a new wave of agony the broken bones brought. If this wasn't a dream, she would be paralysed by now. Her back felt on fire. She couldn't see anything anymore because of the tears streaming down her face. Violet Snow was crying, after years of being strong. "Adrian! Help me, please!"

     The man she loved broke into a malicious grin and held her by the throat, lifting her off the ground. Violet struggled for air. Fighting him was no use. He was ten times stronger than her in normal circumstances, but now...She stopped resisting and accepted this was Death. Until she saw the shadow.

     It lingered around Adrian, floating silently as if waiting for her. Violet took that chance and flicked her fingers towards him, imagining the shadow obeying her command. The shadow complied and it flew, snaking around his neck, strangling him instead. 

      The Alpha released his grip and resorted to fighting off the mysterious darkness that ambushed him. Violet gasped, taking in all the air she could breathe. 

      He did try to kill her, but Violet couldn't bear watching Adrian die, even if it wasn't her Adrian. Still coughing and gagging from Adrian's assault on her neck, she held out her hand and the shadow obediently flew back to her, letting go of Adrian in the process.

      Violet Snow was bleeding, hurt and exhausted. And yet, all those feelings disappeared as she called the shadow for one last command. Along with the shapeless figure, she sunk to the ground. Her body moulded until she was a mere spirit. Floating, free, light and bliss....venturing into darkness so foreign....she felt right at home. The shadow then rose, bringing her back up to the surface.