Chapter 17: Man Of Myths

Logan may have lived most of his life in New York, but Las Vegas was a close second to call home.

     When he travelled with Sophia and the others, he followed along with economy seats on airplanes, so no one would suspect he was the heir of a multi-million dollar empire. But now, he had no reason to hide. No one to hide the truth from.

      Not for the first time today, his mind went to Sophia. Her furious glare, mouth slightly parted and gritted teeth appeared so clearly in his imagination. She must be furious at him for bailing on the others now. He wished to didn't have to lie to her. They promised. No more secrets. And just as she had forgiven him for his last blunder, here he was, screwing the pooch again.

      You know why you can't tell her yet, Logan repeated to himself. If she knew what you were doing here and why, she would've stopped you. Pushed you away to protect you. And then you would have truly lost her. No....you tell her later. After this is over.

       I just hope Adrian and Andrew buy me as much time I need. 

     Leaning back on the airplane seat in business class, alone with his thoughts, no Sophia to fill the silence, all the emotions he'd held back in Nepal came in waves. The raging anger in his heart as he watched that....monster put his hands on Sophia like that, hurting her. Watching Sophia in the cubicle, crying and waving her arms around things that weren't real....with his heart in his throat, unable to speak out or help. The exhaustion, from scrubbing bloodied floors and two long flights back-to-back. 

      Looking out the window, none of the mortals saw his eyes flicker red. Or tiny claws peeking out from his jacket.

      Sleep. I need sleep....

       Plugging in his AirPods to the screen in front of him, he picked a soothing ASMR, tucked the airline blanket over him and closed his eyes.

After five hours, a well-deserved nap, sandwiches and an ending playlist of the 'Star Wars' soundtracks, Logan's mood lightened considerably.

     The airplane made its smooth descent on the Mc Carren International Airport runway, slowing its approach towards the jet bridge connecting the door of the aircraft to the terminal. Swinging his backpack over his shoulder, he politely nudged his way out of the crowded aisle, past the bridge and into the terminal. From there on, his footsteps became much more hurried as he swiftly rushed to the arrival hall.

     His nerves always got the best of him whenever he was flying. Logan flew from New York to Nevada almost every week, for meetings and war training in Las Vegas, not to mention college and his Broadway career in New York. He was always in a hurry.

     Today more than usual. This trip had to be quick. Once his job here was done, he'd take the next flight back to Horizon Peak. 

     "LOGAN!! HEY! LOGAN! GET YOUR BUTT OVER HERE AND GIVE YOUR SIS A HUG!"

     Logan knew that voice from anywhere. His face stretched into a big grin. He couldn't even remember why he was so upset. He turned to see the arrival hall, looking at the frantic blond teen girl who was yelling like a crazed fangirl, holding up a signboard that read 'Logan Bradley-World's Weirdest Bro!'.

     She was annoying like that. 

     Even when she wasn't squawking like a crow, Laura Bradley always captured attention. The charming grin showing all her teeth brightened up any gloom in a room. She had on a mere tank top and miniskirt over her slender figure, revealing most of her clear creamy skin. Curles of bright hair swung in a ponytail, even though a few tiny locks escaped and stood on her head like antlers. Logan's emerald eyes were inherited from his father, but Laura had their late mother's hazel ones. Seeing her face always reminded him of Mom.