Chapter 22: Ashton's 'Proposal'

Thankfully, the paramedics were still around by the time Ashton burst into the street.

       The ambulance parked itself by the front lawn of their house, and a crowd began to form around it. Neighbours emerged to see the chaos unfolding. Two paramedics yelled with loud and stern voices, herding the group aside at a safer, further distance. 

      Another was hard at work, tending to Sophia's wrists, unwrapping Logan's bandaging. The sage Adrian suggested did wonders on the wound. Instead of a gaping hole, all that was left of the cut was a bleeding mark. After applying a new batch of bandages, he moved on to Violet's less extensive injuries.

      "HELP!!" Ashton's once silky voice turned hoarse and rough from all the yelling and crying. He ran and set Ava down in the ambulance. "She's been shot! You need to help her! Please!!"

      The man who tended Sophia, much larger and older stepped forward. His crisp black uniform strained against his muscles. One look at Ava's head and he got right to work. He slowly peeled Ashton away, who he still held onto her like she was his lifeline. "Sir, it's going to be alright. I'm Max and I'm the lead paramedic. We're gonna help your friend, okay, but we need to go now.  What's your name, son? Are you her husband?"

      The gears in Ashton's brain started spinning real quick. He couldn't leave Ava. Not again. Without hesitation, he knew his answer. "Ashton. Ashton Kennedy. I'm her fiance."

       "Okay then, Ashton. You can come with us to the hospital." Max strapped Ava down with Velcro strips across her chest, hips and legs while the other paramedics began packing up their equipment. "Are you okay? Any injuries?"

      "Just a twisted ankle, but it's fine. Just save Ava, please!"

      The crowd had long dispersed but the rest of his friends stood by the street, alarmed at the speed in which everyone was moving. 

      Violet and Etuski tried to reason with the other paramedics to let them follow Ashton in the ambulance but they were adamant about it. 

      "Sorry girls, we're too full." They hopped on the ambulance and gripped the door handles.

       Sophia caught Ashton's petrified gaze locked with hers. "We'll meet you there, Ash! Just hang on!"

      He couldn't say anything, not just because the ambulance door slammed in his face but because all he was capable of doing now was staring at Ava's beautiful face. Memorising every inch of her freckled skin, praying this wasn't the last time he would see it. 

      Moon Goddess, please....I'll do anything. I'll give you anything, but please.... please.....don't take her from me... 

Ashton didn't know what felt worse, the waiting or the guilt.

      When the ambulance stopped to a screeching halt in front of the Horizon Peak General Hospital, so many people converged on them. Some pulled Ava away from his grasps and carried her away, rolling on a stretcher. His emotions got the better of him and he yelled, pushing anyone in his way. 

      He had to be with her. 

      Max dealt with him in firm kindness, pulling the teenage boy to a waiting room. As a few doctors huddled over the moving Ava heading towards the Operating Room, he led Ashton in the opposite direction, into a room with closed blinds and a conference table. The elder man gestured to one of the seats. "Ashton, why don't you have a seat? I'll wait with you until your friends get here. Is that okay with you?"