Chapter 7: Revelations and Neighbours

Two weeks passed since Violet, Rosemary, Etsuki, Ashton and Sophia escaped to the forest with their friends to train as supernatural, or shapeshifters, as Logan called them. 

       Violet's senses grew much sharper than the rest of them. Even the slightest rustle of leaves or the quietest snap of a twig from miles away could wake her from her sleep. 

      Sophia could train for hours now and not feel like she's lost all oxygen in her lungs. 

      Ashton, who was the biggest eater of them all, now had a considerably smaller stomach. All he needed was a plate of meat and greens, and he would then be full the entire day. 

      Etsuki noticed most of her fat was gone, replaced with small bulges of hardness. Muscles had formed from her arms all the way to her torso and legs. She felt more fit and alive than her 19 years of life.

      Logan explained that humans undergoing exercise would only experience changes like weight loss or muscle gain months after. But the plus side of being supernatural was the rapid metabolic rate that enables them to process physiological alterations much faster.

      Which Sophia broke it down as. "Pre-Awakening us would've taken months to lose weight or get abs, but Post-Awakening us can do it much quicker because of our hormones."

      "Ohhhhhh...." Ashton formed the letter 'O' with his mouth. "Why couldn't you have just said that, bro?!"

     Logan looked up to the Heavens. "Why? Why me?"

      Instead of more endurance and agility training, the boys wanted to do something different today. Theory lessons.

      "Based on our intel and sources...." Adrian began. "You are possibly what's called 'The Big Five'. They are shape-shifters-mostly werewolves- who have the ability and willpower to control their heart rate and avoid spontaneous shifting that happens to even some of the most experienced supernaturals."

      "Then how do you guys do it?" Rosemary asked.

      "Shifting at will is possible, just very much harder for the rest of us. The full moon or changes in temperature are some factors that cause us to lose control. But the most common trigger and method we use would be the drastic change in our emotional state or pulses. Erratic behavioural changes or mood swings can release the inner beast within us."

      Logan continued. "Not only do the 'The Big Five' have ultimate control over their shifts, but the Moon Goddess also bestows them with the powers of the elementals. Fire, water, earth etc."

      "Why us? Out of the millions of people in this world?" Etsuki brought up.

      Logan nodded his head towards Sophia. "A calculated guess based on Sophia. Her mother is Bianca Thomas, Alpha to the last Big Five Wolf Pack. There's a high possibility that a part of that DNA, the genome that makes her powerful, has been passed down to Sophia."

      Sophia's heart stopped a beat. 

      The lady in red....my mother. Bianca Thomas. Alpha. 

      "Wait?! My birth mother? You've actually met her?" Sophia jumped at the mention of her mother. The others, who she had already confided in about Oscar Daves' letter looked expectantly at the boys.

      "Of course not. She's a legend, travelling the world with her pack to exotic lands, saving the world from danger time and time again." Adrian said.

      Sophia licked her lips in anticipation. "Do you think.....maybe..we could go see her..or something?"

      Adrian slowly shook his head. "I wish we could. But nobody's seen or heard from her or the rest of her pack members for years. They've gone into hiding to maintain absolute secrecy of their important work."