Chapter 19: Dad? Wait...You Too?

Ashton woke to the sound of dripping water.

      His nose itched from collecting dust around him, gathering with clumps of cobwebs in this dark, wet and smelly room. For some reason, his wrists stung, the pain throbbing to his foggy head and shaking hands. The coat he was wearing, one Marcus bought him for Christmas, had disappeared, leaving him in his shirt and jeans. He reached up and felt the tiny hole where the dart hit him on his neck, feeling the mark it made. He tried for some measly coughs, hoping to bring back some saliva to wet his parched lips.

      "Hey...You okay?"

     Sophia looked much worse than he was, and for good reason. Her blouse and leggings were in tatters, full of dirt and grime. A tub of water stood next to her, and when she dunked her arms into it, her breaths came out stronger for just a few moments. The water helped give her strength, Ashton remembered Sophia telling him. That must be why the stab wound from Denisovich hasn't killed her.

      Too bad he couldn't summon a lighting bolt for some caffeine boost now.

      He didn't reply immediately, dragging himself up so his back leaned against a cold, hard wall behind him. Finally, he noticed the source of the clinking sound. Metallic chains binding him at the wrists to the ground. Silver.....probably why the chains hurt so much. Sophia's hand were bound the same too, and no matter how long she left her hands in the tub of water, it did nothing to help with the nasty red blisters forming around her hands.

      "Yeah....." Ashton groaned. He slid over towards the Latina as much as the chains allowed him, linking his hands with hers. "You?"

      "Eh.....I've been better."

      Ashton snorted. Sophia chuckled as if she too couldn't believe she was cracking jokes now. After a while, the tension drowned out their laughter. Silence ensued.

      "Could I get some of that?" He pointed to the tub next to her.

      She frowned. "It's definitely got E-coli in it or something."

      "Yeah, well, I can't afford to wait for orange juice!" He snapped. One look at Sophia's tired face and he sighed. "I'm sorry, I'm just thirsty. Please?"

      Grudgingly, she pushed the heavy container with her feet towards the blonde. With no hesitation, he dunked his head into the tub, clearing the sleep out of his eyes, slurping a little of the contaminated water to quench his thirst.

      Sophia gagged. "Eww.....gross."

      "You still have your watch?" Ashton closed his eyes, trying to shut out the entire world just so he could remember what it felt to breathe. Droplets of water trickled down from his wet locks, falling onto his arms.

      "Yeah....it's now 11 at night. The sedative they gave us must have been enhanced or something. We've been out for nearly 10 hours."

      "Actually, its Tuesday. That means you two slept for 33 hours. Quite impressive, I must say."

      Ashton's eyes shot open. Both he and Sophia jumped in shock. Standing by the door, a large grin on his face, was Marcus Kennedy.

      "Let's have a little chat, shall we?" He smiled, all signs of the monster he really was out of sight.

The man dragged a wooden stool he found at the opposite end of the room, bringing it closer so he could look down on his both his captives. Sophia's brutal attacks from before appeared to be non-existent. In fact, the crisp black tuxedo he had on right now could have him pegged for an immaculate, mundane mortal working as a banker.