Chapter 6

The wind softly blew a few strands of dark hair in Maria’s face, causing her to shake her wild hair and make it even wilder. She sang a lullaby that her mother used to sing to all of her sisters when they were still little girls. Maria longed back to those times very often, especially since they had left their old home and moved to theNew World.

She may have been the youngest of her sisters, but she was not a little child anymore. She was sixteen years old and a grown woman, though she showed no desire to prove that believe. Contently she skipped into the small garden in front of their hut and started to fertilize the soil. Back in the Old World, when Maria’s father was still alive, she and her mother used to work in the garden a lot. Sometimes her sisters would help, but it was truly Maria’s passion, as if there was a connection between her and the flowers.

Maria bent down and strewed the droppings, naturally produced by several horses and continued singing, catching the attention of her older sister. Grida approached the happy live form of her sister with large steps and halted in front of the girl, both hands resting on her sides.

“Will you stop doing that?”, Grida hissed, clearly annoyed.

“Stop doing what?”, Maria asked innocently and paused the strewing for a matter of seconds.

“Stop singing, you’re giving me a headache”, Grida said and turned around, walking away from her sister. She continued muttering to herself as she approached the local tavern. “I swear, they will all become the death of me on day.”

Grida kicked the tavern door open and drew attention from the many men that had settled down with a can of mead or two. The rebel Marwick was fully aware that the reason all of them were staring at her was because it was uncommon for a woman to visit a tavern. She did not bother to give the amused men any satisfaction and sat down at the bar, next to two younger men. She nodded at them, not really taking in their appearance.

“What can I get you”, the fat old lady behind the bar asked bored.

“One can of mead”, Grida said and stared dully ahead, matching the fat ladies gaze.

“A woman, in a tavern?”, the man next to her spoke with a slight hint of amusement written across his face. His gaze travelled from Grida’s face, down to the hem of her dark green dress and back up again. “That is not something we come across very often, do we not brother?”

“Indeed brother”, the other man, slightly younger than the first one said. Grida did not bother to study their faces, but grasped her can of mead instead and started gulping the liquid down.

“Please go bother someone else with your sweet-talk”, Grida replied and got up from the bar, taking her mead with her. She sat down next to a broad build man, sitting alone at one of the tables. She liked his stubbly chin and muscled arms and eyed him up and down.

“Hello there handsome”, she whispered in his ear. The man’s face lit up when her lips softly touched his ear as she spoke.

“What can I do for you beautiful?”, he smirked, facing her frolic face. Grida glanced back at the two men at the bar one more time and caught them staring at her. She smirked before turning back to the muscled man again.

“I can show you”, she whispered not taking her eyes of the two men at the bar. The last thing she saw of them was long sandy hair, slightly wavy with two braided strands and shoulder length dark brown hair, matched with equally dark eyes.

Grida held the man’s massive hand and smiled inwardly when she glanced behind her shoulder and noticed how big the man really was. He would be able to overpower her at any moment, yet she was the one holding control over him.

She pulled him down to the woods beyond the little brook and let go of his hand quickly. With her back against a tree and a seductive smile on her face, she playfully showed her bare shoulder, pulling down her dress a little. The look on the man’s face was combined of pleasure and lust, curiosity and nervousness. She loved the games she played with men, making their minds go insane as she kissed and grabbed them wildly, forgetting about everything about her. For her, it was all about letting go from reality, where she was not loved; neither by a lover nor her family. This was her way of faking love, though she sometimes pretended it was real.

“What’s your name?”, the man breathed in between the rough kissed he planted on her collarbone.

“Julie”, she breathed, enjoying the ecstasy that took over her body. She did not like telling the men she slept with her name, because she did not want to make it too personal. She wished to disappear out of their lives after spending one night with them or in this case, one time.

Grida kissed the man hungrily pulling him down with her on the damp moss; his hands still entangled in her hair and his lips still locked on her skin.