Chapter 13

Asta knocked on Hilda’s door while a brown woven basket dangled from her other arm. With a long creak the door opened and revealed a smiling Hilda.

“Good morning Asta”, Hilda greeted Asta and stepped outside, closing the door behind. Both women had agreed to meet today to do some shopping in the village, including a stroll down the market and a visit to the local seamstress.

“Did you enjoy yourself last night?”, Hilda asked as they strolled past a group of playing kids. “I can recall that you and your sisters left early.”

“We did”, Asta replied, looking at Hilda’s confused face. “I mean”, Asta chuckled, “I did enjoy myself and yes we left early.” Both Asta and Hilda giggled and continued their way to the seamstress where an old lady and her daughter were sewing, a grumpy gaze present on the oldest woman’s wrinkled face. She was nothing like Asta would’ve expected from a seamstress; neither her clothes, nor attitude.

“Good afternoon Lillian”, Hilda greeted the youngest woman and received a radiant smile in return.

“G’afternoon Hilda. How’s your husband doing?”, Lillian asked, while continuing to work on the red dress she was making. It was the most beautiful shade of red Asta had ever seen and the fabric appeared to be soft to the touch. The details around the neckline were beautifully embroidered in gold as well as the hem of the dress. Asta wondered who might’ve ordered a stunning dress like this.

“Is that Tatiana’s dress your working on?”, Hilda asked interested and pulled out a stool to sit down next to Lillian. She gently traced her fingers along the stitching while Asta was watching them from a distance.

“Yes, well, we all know how much she loves male attention. Those Mikaelsons never seem to leave her side although it I have seen them spending less time together lately. I heard Elijah has been talking to one of those Marwick sisters yesterday at the bonfire. I hope Tatiana does not get jealous”, Lillian told.

“Mikealsons?”, Asta asked having a minor anxiety attack. Her heart pounded out of her chest by the thought of Finn loving another woman; a woman beautiful enough to wear the stunning red dress.

“Oh Lillian, where are my manners, this is my neighbor Asta Marwick”, Hilda smiled proudly at Asta. Knowing the new family in town boosted ones reputation.

 “A Marwick? You do not happen to be…”

“No that was my sister Freya”, Asta answered. “But tell me more about this Tatiana”, she suggested, wanting to know everything about the possible threat lurking for her Finn.

“Tatiana is the most desired woman in the village. I truly believe our husbands would abandon us if they knew they had a chance with her, though I do not fully understand why. Tatiana is not married, but has bore a child out of wedlock. It’s very shameful really”, Hilda explained. Asta was shocked. In theOld Worlda woman without a husband having a child was highly unlikely and a normal woman would be renounced. However in Tatiana’s case it only seemed to make her more desirable.

“The Mikaelsons seem most fond of her, except for Esther, who doesn’t like her sons being taken away from her. The poor men have not committed to a woman yet though some of them are far surpassed the age of marriage”, Lillian spoke, and stopped her stitching for the first time since Asta entered the hut. The grumpy old woman had apparently retreated into another room and was nowhere to be found anymore.

“How old exactly are they?”, Asta asked and swallowed loudly. She clasped her sweaty hands together and had trouble hearing Lillian over her own heartbeat.

“All we know is that Elijah is the oldest, then there’s Finn”, Asta’s heart skipped a beat. “Niklaus, Kol and little Henrik.” Little Henrik must’ve been the boy in Finn’s presence the first time she’d seen him, when she was at the well with her sisters. She already knew Finn and Elijah were brothers and she recognized the names Niklaus and Kol from the night before. Niklaus had been the one arguing with Grida. Asta hadn’t known Finn was their brother and had thought he was just one of their friends.

“Asta?”, Hilda said suddenly standing in front of Asta, waving her hand horizontally in front of Asta’s face. “Asta are you feeling well?”

Asta came back to realization and shook her head. She must’ve been lost in thoughts about Finn and completely forgot about reality.

“I’m fine”, Asta smiled weakly. Her brain did not function fully and she felt in a kind of daze, the same she felt after having drunk to many cans of mead. “I’d like a red dress like that one”, she said pointing a weak finger. She wobbled on her legs as she walked to the door and waved at Hilda to follow her. Hilda nodded and immediately rushed to Asta’s side, entwining their arms in order to support her neighbor.

After walking a little while Asta finally seemed to return to her old self again, but Hilda not dare ask questions about what happened earlier. She lead Asta past to the market and halted in front of a greengrocer’s stall. Maria’s tomatos would not be edible within the first weeks so buying their vegetables was still necessary.

When someone bumped against Asta, making her turn slightly, a smile that made her wish to disappeared was shot her way. Handsome Finn Mikaelson walked over the market with his mother Esther and the witch Ayana. He carried a threesome basket for the women and was dressed neatly. His dark hair fell to his shoulders as usual and blown out of his attractive face. Finn’s smile reached his green eyes as he passed Asta and her neighbor. Asta was unprepared at first but was able to come to senses and smiled back, adding a small wave. Not once had she spoken to him and wondered if that would ever come, but until then she would simply have to wait.