Chapter 15

Grida was ready for another shot at some pleasure. She had spotted Kan, who was sharpening his sword on a haystack, and put on a smirk. Confidently, she strode towards him, making her dark hair flow elegantly behind her back and narrowed her eyes in a seducing way. Step by step she neared him, already excited about what was going to happen as soon she caught him in her grasp. A small smile slowly crept on her pale face as she couldn’t hold the excitement back anymore. She neared him him rapidly but was still at a fair distance.

“Hello”, a smiling face popped up in front of her unexpectedly, causing her to jump. She put a hand on her heart and breathed heavily a few times before taking in the man’s appearance.

“You again”, she hissed and tried to walk past him but he stepped in her way to block her. Suddenly, he brought out a pink flower and held it in front of her. Grida was startled; a feeling which she did not like and quickly turned it into anger. She stared at the rose with dull eyes and did nothing.

Niklaus pushed the flower under her chin, forcing her to take it. “It’s for you.”

Aggravated Grida took the flower and faked a smile. “Aw thank you”, she said sweetly and threw the flower over her head. A cart, pulled by a horse, passed by and ran over the flower, draining it in the moist dirt. Niklaus looked sad and gazed at Grida’s pleased face.

“Do not bring me flowers, do not talk to me, do not even look at me, understood?”, she threatened, showing her teeth.

“But love, you don’t understand…”, Niklaus started but was but off by Grida’s angry voice.

“No you understand this: I…do not…like you. And stop calling me love!”, she snarled.

“I was only trying to apologize for…”

“Ugh!”, Grida yelled in frustration and pulled her long dark locks. “Are you stupid? I do not want an apology; I want to be left alone!” By this point Grida had lost control of voice and was yelling at the saddened man. His flower was dead, Grida did not want to talk to him and he was having trouble not to show his emotions. Put off, Niklaus let his head hang low and gave something that resembled a nod before turning around and walking away from Grida.

Finally he was gone and she was left alone. It wasn’t hard to understand that she could not stand him yet he wouldn’t leave her alone. Why apologize when it is clear that his apology was never going to be accepted. Niklaus was a fool, a blind fool. The thought of it made Grida laugh, and the sight of the daunted fool walking back home was even more hilarious.

Niklaus was upset and did not notice his surroundings. He kicked a few strands of hay lying on the ground as the sound of a sword being sharpened reached his ears.

“Hey you”, a low male voice grunted at him. Niklaus looked up to see the tall and broad builtKanglaring at him. “Yeah you”,Kansaid and threw his sword on the ground. He approached Nikaus in a threatening manner and Niklaus couldn’t help but feel intimidated.Kanhad a reputation of a fighter and was unbeaten. Niklaus, being familiar with the feeling of being beaten, swallowed loudly and dreaded the possible outcome of this encounter. He should’ve run when he could but was too late.Kanlifted Niklaus up by his collar and threw him on the ground with much force.

Grida watched from a distance, amused as she watched Niklaus on the ground, coughing and moaning. Before Niklaus could get up on his feetKanhad grasped his shirt again and threw him in the haystack. When Niklaus glanced past him and noticed Grida watching he got up immediately and attacked Kanwith a loud manly yell. He pumped his fist againstKan’s stomach but it did not prove to be enough. InsteadKanchuckled and slammed Niklaus’ face with his own large fist. 

As the men started clinging to each other Grida crosses her arms in front of her chest and watched carefully. A pair of fighting men was always interesting to watch. She wondered if Niklaus stood any chance against the bear-sizedKan, but was enlightened soon after when Niklaus was on the ground, straddled betweenKan’s legs as the latter smashed his face in a million pieces, again and again and again. The amount of blood coming from Niklaus’ face was horrifying and Grida worried that if she did not step in now, Niklaus might be able to die.

With large steps she approached the men covered the last part with a run. She flew aroundKan’s neck and started hitting his chest, shoulders and back; everywhere she could put her hands on.Kanthrew her of easily and grunted, continuing with moulding Niklaus’ face. Grida attacked a second time, this time trying to push him off Klaus’ body. Her strength did not prove to be enough, but the mixture of adrenaline and anger triggered a greater power than muscle strength. She felt her hands burn up as she pushed againstKan’s chest and noticed the dark leather vest burning up under her skin. Soon after,Kanyelled in pain and panicked. He got off of Niklaus’ body and ran away like a little child, his loud scream echoing through the streets. Luckily for him it was a quiet day, but his reputation was certainly ruined.

Grida panted as she got up from her knees and put her hands on her hips. She stared at Niklaus and tried catching her breath before handing Niklaus a hand. He grunted when he sat up straight and was pulled up with much effort. Grida noticed he was not steady and stepped closer to support him.

“Thank you love”, Niklaus breathed, a small smile spread across his bleeding face. Grida’s anger boiled up again and as soon she had stepped by to help him, she dropped him onto the ground.

“Do not call me love”, she yelled while pointing her finger at him. Niklaus nodded as if drunk and started getting up himself again. His blood kept dripping onto the ground, leaving thick red spots on the ground.

Grida watched the bleeding man and regretted helping him. Pathetic fool.