Chapter 21

Freya was walking down a small ally to cut of the mediocre road. She was meeting Tatiana that morning and together they would travel to the brook where Tatiana would bath her son Viktor. Freya had brought apples for breakfast and carried them in her basket.

“Freya!”, Tatiana said running outside and hugged the Marwick sister. “Viktor”, she called inside the house. As she turned her head her bouncy brown curls danced around her shoulders. “Freya is here.” A young boy walked outside the house warily. His face lit up as soon as he saw Freya and hugged her around her legs.

“Hey little one”, she greeted him with a smile. “Shall we leave?”, Freya asked turning to Tatiana, who smiled and started walking. Freya handed her an apple as they walked to the little brook, right outside the village.

“So how are you and Elijah?”, Tatiana asked as they walked along the brook. She could not deny the pain she felt in her heart whenever she said his name nowadays. She had truly believed he had loved her, but of course she was proven wrong. It seemed as though Tatiana was not allowed to find love. The father of her child left her four years ago and now Elijah had left her too. Nevertheless she tried to be happy for her best friend and covered her sadness with a smile.

“We are….Viktor!”, Freya all of a sudden called out and dropped the basket with apples. The little boy had climbed on top of a rock and fell down, but just before he hit the ground Freya caught him. Not physically but mentally. Somehow the boy stayed afloat in the air only inches above the ground before floating down slowly. He giggled in pleasure and ran to his mother, who met him halfway.

“Viktor”, she breathed worriedly. For a moment she thought she was going to lose him. Tatiana then turned to Freya, who stood paralyzed on her spot. Tatiana ran to Freya and hugged her gratefully.

“Thank you, thank you”, she breathed in Freya’s long dark hair. “Thank you for saving my son.” 

Freya stayed quiet throughout the rest of the morning. She was in shock; she had saved a little boy; she had made him float in the air. There was denying that she had magical powers anymore. Ayana had been right; Freya was a witch.

When Freya returned home, she accidentally bumped into Asta who had just left their hut. Asta shot Freya a questioning look but decided to stay quiet when she noticed that Freya was drowned in her own thoughts.

Asta was on her way to the smith to get some new cooking tools for her mother. Once inside she did not find anyone to help her. She sat down on a barrel and glanced around the room. One thing in particular caught her attention and letting out the young girl inside her that she never got to live, she stood up and walked slowly to the object. She carefully traced her fingers along the sharp blade before taking the heavy sword in her hands. As she started wielding the sword while sporting a bright smile on her face, a voice startled her. She dropped the sword and turned around.

“Finn”, she said wide-eyed.

“Swords are dangerous Milady”, he said and pointed at the sword at Asta’s feet. She blushed and was slightly embarrassed that Finn would catch her in such a childish act. “If you would like, I could show some tricks”, Finn smiled charmingly and slowly approached Asta. He crouched down in front of her and picked up the sword. While he started standing up again, his gaze never left Asta’s blushing face.

Without hesitation Asta nodded and let Finn guide her outside the village to a quieter place. She would’ve been fool to turn down an offer by her love interest. All she had ever wished for was to spent time with him; get to know him and now that day had finally come.

“Where are we exactly?’, Asta said eyeing the cave on her right side warily.

“We’re near the border of our territory. On the other side of that cave…”, Finn said and pointed at the dark hole inside the stone wall. “…lays the wolves’ territory.”

“The wolves?”, Asta questioned and pulled her smooth forehead onto a frown.

“Yes”, Finn said, noticing the suspicious look on her face. To ease her, Finn added a slight smile and stepped closer to her. “Do not worry; they have never crossed the border before.” Finn stepped even closer to Asta and gently put his hand on the small of her back. He pushed her lightly so that she faced the cave with her back and was left no choice but to look at him. “Come.”

Asta’s cheeks turned a dark shade of pink when he touched her. A fluttery feeling in her stomach distracted her from what he was saying as he handed her the sword. He then took his position opposite her, pointing the tip of his sword at her.

Asta gulped staring at the way Finn’s beautiful lips moved as he tried to explain one another. She simply nodded not hearing a single word he said as she stared ahead.

“Asta”, Finn chuckled and lowered his sword. “You did not hear a single word I said.”

He sounded amused and took a few steps forward so that he was standing right in front of her. Asta ignored the fact that their toes were touching and clasped the sword in her sweaty palm. Her breathing increased as she took quick and small puffs while studying his handsome face from up close.

“You have to hold it like th-”, Finn said taking her hand in his to show her how to hold her sword. Instead Asta dropped the heavy tool and stared at Finn in amazement. Another wave of heat travelled to her cheeks upon her sudden clumsiness.

Finn’s hand slowly travelled from Asta’s hand, up her arm and eventually rested upon her soft cheek as he cupped her face gently. His green eyes gazed directly upon her dark brown ones as he leant down slowly.

“Asta”, he whispered. “May I kiss you?”

Without words, Asta nodded and tilted her head backwards as she waited for the warmth of his lips. The kiss was soft and tender like a first kiss was supposed to be. Asta burned up completely under the touch of his rough lips upon her soft pink ones.

Finn pulled backing staring at her tenderly. “Please do me the honor of being my wife”, Finn suddenly said.

Asta gasped and stared at him wide-eyed. She had not expected such question anytime soon, though she loved to hear those words coming from his mouth. Asta had silently loved Finn all along. Her heart had ached for this man from the very first time she saw him and all she had been able to think about were his green eyes. Would it make her insane to decline a proposal from the man she desired so much?

“But your mother?”, was the only thing Asta could think about. It was very common for a mother to give away her sons, like fathers gave away their daughters. The mother usually had a major influence on her son’s choice of wife and if the woman her son had chosen did not please her, no proposal would ever take place.

“My mother’s opinion is of no importance. I love you Asta. I’ve loved since the very first time I laid my eyes upon your beautiful face. Please do not leave me standing here like a fool.”

Finn had not asked his mother yet. Was he the one that was insane?

“What about Tatiana?”, Asta wanted to know.

“Do you not want to marry me?”, Finn asked a little disappointed. “You are making me believe that you’re making up excuses.”

“No”, Asta immediately cut in. “No, not at all.” Her eyes started to tear of happiness and a broad smile graced her pretty face. She took Finn’s face in her hands and pulled him down pressing a firm kiss upon his lips. “I do want to marry you. I do.”

Finn’s saddened eyes instantly lit up after hearing her words. A smile played on his lips making him look dangerously charming as he intertwined their arms.

“Milday”, Finn smiled and started walking Asta back to the village. He stopped on his way as they crossed the white oak tree and took one of the gorgeous blue flowers to put it in Asta’s dark hair. He tucked a fallen strand behind her ear, letting his fingertips softly trace down her cheek. Asta blushed in flattery. She was going to be a wife…to Finn Mikaelson.