Chapter 10

Grida stormed over the terrain and slapped a few cans of mead out of people’s hands. She was angry at the man for standing up for her. A normal woman would’ve been honored if a man was prepared to fight for her, but Grida fought her won battles when needed and it wasn’t needed at all. She could’ve had a fun night with a real man, but apparently the spirits weren’t one her side.

“Stop following me!”, she yelled over her shoulder at the sandy blonde haired man.

“Please talk to me”, the man pleaded and pushed past several people in order to reach the raging Marwick daughter. Grida was not in the mood to talk; she preferred to yell at the moment.

“I said leave me alone!”, she yelled agrivated and halted next to the bonfire. She turned around unexpectedly and glared at the man with balled fists. “I didn’t ask for your help and I certainly didn’t ask for you to stalk me!”

“I was only trying to…”, the man said spreading his arms next to his chest. His sandy blond hair seemed even lighter in the light of the bonfire and his blue eyes sparkled with guilt.

“Leave me…”, Grida interrupted and stopped a by passer by the shoulder. The chubby man looked startled when he was halted by the angry woman and did not notice her grabbing his can of mead at first. Grida pushed him out of her way and stepped forward. “Alone!”, she yelled and threw the filled can at the blonde man, causing his hair and clothes to soak with mead. He closed his eyes for a moment as the liquid hit him, but when he opened them again it was not anger that was reflected by his eyes, it was sadness. Right after the mead hit his face the flames of the bonfire mysteriously grew vertically with a couple feet and people stared with mouth agape and expressions on disbelief. Flames did not grow by themselves, normally needing an increased amount of fuel or oxygen, so there was only one solution that came to people’s minds, yet not to Grida herself: Magic.

Just as Grida was about to attack the blonde man, she was yanked back by her arms. “What is…”, Grida yelled furiously. By now people had grown quiet and followed the argument intensely.

“Grida!”, Asta’s angry voice yelled from up close. When Grida looked back over her shoulder she was met by her sister’s stern gaze. Asta’s usually friendly brown eyes were full of worry and coldness. The smile she normally carried on her face was turned upside down and her nails were digging in Grida’s arm.

“Niklaus!”, a male voice yelled from a small distance away from the sisters. The sandy blonde man who had been called Niklaus turned around to find his caller. A young man with dark brown wavy hair that reached his shoulders towered over Niklaus by a few inches and was backed up by a group of friends. Grida recognized him as Nikaus’ companion in the tavern, when she first met both men. They had been sitting at the bar next to her and questioned her about what a woman was doing in a tavern.

“Brother”, Niklaus spoke to the dark haired man that had now put a hand on Niklaus’ shoulder. The blonde brother sounded clearly upset and the disappointment in his eyes was that of one who had lost an important bet. “I was only trying to talk to her. No harm done.”

“Grida, what happened?”, two young girls running towards their oldest sisters said. Maria and Isibel halted by Grida’s side and looked at her in concern. They had seen the climbing fire and immediately assumed it had to do something with one of their sisters. When they saw Grida it was no surprise that their older sister may have cost the domination of nature in such way. Grida seemed furious and out of her mind when they’d reached her. Her emotions could've easily caused such outcome.

“I put him in place”, Grida snarled and gazed at Niklaus and his brother.

In the meantime Isibel followed her sister’s gaze and met a pair of deep brown eyes. The young man with brown wavy hair somewhat resembled the man that Asta had been staring at when they were at the well. He was handsome and Isibel felt a certain attraction towards the young man. She was mesmerized by the way his lips moved while he was talking to his brother. All she could think about was how soft they would be and if he was a good kisser.

“Are you alright Grida?”, Maria’s soft voice sounded like a faint whisper to Isibel, who was intensely staring at the handsome man. He glanced at her for a moment, but looked uninterested and focused on his brother again. She felt a sting of disappointment but decided not to go give up on him yet. She was determined to get to know him and maybe even discover whether or not his lips were indeed as soft as they looked.

“Let’s go Kol”, Niklaus, the blonde man said to his brother and Isibel’s new love interest. Kol nodded and left along with his brother and group of friends, slowly disappearing in the darkness as they distanced themselves from the light of the bonfire.

As the group of men was walking away, Asta noticed a familiar face among them belonging to a man that seemed to intentionally linger behind the group. Finn Mikaelson looked back over his shoulder and smiled warmly at the astonished woman. She did not expect him to be in Niklaus’ company and would’ve have acted differently if she had known he was there. Had she come across as too strict? She had been very angry when she approached Grida and she knew her angry face didn’t look particularly attractive. What if Finn didn’t like her anymore after he’d seen her so angry? What if Finn didn’t like her at all?

“Asta, let’s go find Freya”, Isibel said pulling her older sister’s arm. Asta shook her head and cleared her mind.

“Of course”, she agreed with a nod and followed her sisters’ slow pace. Maria and Isibel were trying to push Grida forward, but Grida struggled against them, not wanting to follow. She wanted to go back to their hut, not be among her sickening bossy sisters. And she especially did not want to see Freya, who had come into sight and was beaming at a tall man that looked a little too much like that Kol guy, yet Grida couldn’t deny that she was a tiny but curious to find out if he was another brother of Niklaus, just like Kol.