Chapter 5

He dreamt about her that night, the girl he had run into. Her dark hair that fell into a messy braid over her shoulder, her ivory skin that reflected the sun, her brown eyes that matched his own, he was truly enchanted.

 He had dreamt about holding, kissing her, loving her in ways that he had not done another woman. He needed to remind himself that it had not been real but nevertheless did he keep thinking about it.

 In the early morning he rose from his bed and pulled on his daily attire. His long dark hair was kept from falling in his face with two tiny braids reaching the back of his head, where they were secured firmly. It enabled him to train his sword fighting skills with his brothers, without be hindered by his hair.

 Slowly he left his room behind and entered the living space, where her sack was laying on the floor. He had not dared to look what was inside; it would be against his morals. What did not belong to him to him was not his business, but then again, she did not belong to him, did that mean that he could not look at her again?

 With the sack hanging from his left shoulder, he was ready to depart when he caught a bush of dark brown hair passing his window. He held his breath and stared at the silhouette, recognizing the lilac dress as hers. She carried a small sack and did not seem in a hurry.

 He hurried outside and followed her secretly. He did not want to scare her, but he was curious as to where she would be going at this hour in the morning. His previous thoughts about not minding other people’s business had sounded so convincing, but was quickly turning into a lie. He followed her through the trees and watched as she tripped over a branch. He wanted to warn her, catch her, but could not give away his presence.

 When he saw that she headed for the brook he hesitated for a moment. She was going to bath in the brook and how terribly hard it was to tear himself away from the spot, he had to follow her. He watched as she slipped her dress off her left shoulder and turned around, with his back facing the tree. His heartbeat was dangerously high and his breath was not steady anymore.

He hurried to the village and found her hut. Ayana had stopped by yesterday to pay a visit to Esther and had told her about the new witch that had arrived. Agnes, she was called, and she travelled with her five daughters. It was Esther who seen a vision about their arrival, but it was Ayana who had introduced them to the New World. Esther had not been happy about it at first, because in her vision she had seen the daughters of Marwick and her own sons together, though she did not tell her sons this. The Marwick sisters were indeed very beautiful and it was no surprise that they would be desired by any man, but she did not want her sons to marry a witch.

When he had returned yesterday with the sack, not knowing where the girl in the lilac dress lived, Esther had taken interest in the sack. She said it would be best if he waited a day with returning it, so the Marwick family had time to accustom to their new hut. He had found it rather odd and suggested that they would not be able to rest until the sack was returned, but Esther had declared his opinion.

He heard a soft humming coming from behind and turned around to face the source of the peaceful sound.

“Hello”, he said with a smile, but it soon faltered when his eyes met hers. She looked almost angelic in her white dress, truly enchanting. Her hair was still dripping and messy but it only showed that she was a natural beauty. He blinked a few times to make sure that she was indeed real and standing a few feet away from him. Inevitably she approached him but did not look into his eyes again.

“I came to bring you this”, he said and lifted the sack with on arm. She took it but the sack turned out to be too heavy for her and she fell onto the ground. She picked it up again and nodded at him as a way of saying thanks.

He wondered what her voice would be like. Was it a high girly voice? Or did she have a low seductive voice? He did not know yet because she hadn’t spoken to him once.

He turned around on his heels and started walking away when she headed to the front door. Suddenly she called after him.

“Thank you.” Her voice was neither of the previous, it was simply perfect.