TWENTY TWO - part I

I closed the door of my apartment behind me and leaned on it. 'Steve you idiot why haven't you told me.' I spoke my mind out loud.

I sat on my couch, picked up my phone and texted Lucy.

Hi friend, do you have time to talk?

I waited only a minute before her answer lit up my screen.

Always. I can come over if you want.

That'd be great I'm home already. You can come anytime.

I'll be there in 30 minutes.

Are you hungry? I was thinking about ordering Chinese for dinner...

As always you can read my mind Sam. I'd love that. See you soon.

See ya!! X

I dialed my favorite chinese delivery restaurant and ordered us 2 portions of sweet savory chicken with fried noodles.

As Lucy promised, she knocked on my door after half an hour.

"Hi how are you," we hugged each other as she entered my apartment.
"I'm good how are you."
"Hungry," she laughed. She always had big appetite although it didn't show on her figure at all.
"Come in. Food is already here."
"Awesome."

She took of her jacket and walked to sit on the couch. I grabed our two food boxes and joined her.
"There you go."
"Thanks. That's exactly what I needed. Hmmm it's so good," Lucy's noodles were disappearing quickly, "Mr Chao is the best."
"Yes he is," I smiled, happy my friend was enjoying her meal.
I on the other hand have barely touched mine.

"What's on your mind, Sam?" Lucy noticed the loss of my appetite. "I think there might still be something between Steve and Catherine," I looked at Lucy, "his ex," I assured she knew what was going on.

"Yeah I remember you told me about her when she came to pick him up while you were there. Why would you think so?"

I told her everything Danny told me earlier.
"So he hasn't told you she would be there but he did mention Joe?"
"Exactly. So what do you think?"
"It's hard to tell. We can't see into his head but these things always seem worse than they actually are," she assured me, "I wouldn't see it so dark," she smiled and put her finished box on the glass table in front of us.

I loved her go happy go lucky attitude. I was not sure if every Australian was like that but if Lucy was any indication of the nation's personality, Australia must be great place to live.

"But even if he still has some feelings towards her, it must not immediately mean he is still in love with her and not with you.
These things are always tricky. Because when you are with someone for a long time, you were with that person for a reason and you can't just turn off your feelings after you break up."

"At least we know Steve has feelings," I laughed.

Lucy continued, "You remember how I was after Jim last year? I was wreck for six months," she recalled her two year relationship.
"How could I forgert. I had to drag you out of your bed otherwise you'd have still been in it," I brushed her knee to assure her I know how hard it was on her and we laughed on the memory.

"Exactly. That son of a bith cheated on me but it still took me long time to get over him. And I don't know how I'd react if he would  show up in front of me tomorrow. I might jump around his neck again."
"Please don't, that guy was a douchebag."
"I know. But that's my point. Once something was there it's possible that some sort of attraction will stay forever. Mostly physical and obviously not as strong as the day you met that person but if you want to know what I think-"
"Hmm."
"Steve was with Catherine for really long time, he was obviously attracted to her sexually, he has memories with her... he might not love her anymore but probably still feels at least deep friendship towards her. You simply can't turn that off. But it doesn't mean he'll jump her either..." she looked at me with supportive eyes for few seconds, "or I'm totally wrong and they are doing it right now," she laughed at me.
"Luc!"

STEVE'S POV

I carried my two large equipment bags to the back of the military plane at Hickam airfield base. It's been a while since I was boarding C-17.

"Recalling old memories?" I heard familiar voice behind me.
"Joe," I smiled at my old friend.
"I'm glad you are here son. I know you didn't have to come and I want you to know that I appreciate it," Joe said as he shook my hand.
"What are you talking about. You saved my ass more than once. I owe you."
"You don't own me anything. But as I said, I'm glad you're here."

"Where are the others?" I looked around the empty aircraft.
"Henderson is 5 minutes out, Sanders went to the hangar to get our equipment and Hooks will meet us there. As well as Catherine," my friend looked at me and I saw hint of worry in his eyes.
"I'm fine," I assured him.
"Just want to make sure."
"Trust me, it's all good now."
"I'm glad son," and he left to talk to our pilot.

"Smoothdog!" Someone's hand hit my back.
"Pushman," I turned to bro-hug my old teammate.

"If you two ladies are done kissing each other you could give me hand here," Sanders shouted from the entrance of the cargo hold, "this thing will not load itself."

"Is that Cherry?" I raised an eyebrow at Henderson next to me.
"Can't be," Pushman shook his head," Sanders is in his thirties. This guy looks fifty."
We were both trying not to laugh out loud.

"Cherry," you look old," I teased my friend whose hand clapped large transport box.
"Will you help me or not?!"
"Yeah yeah calm down, you got grumpy as you got old," I walked to the tarmac and hugged Sanders, "good to see you buddy."
"You too," Cherry returned the hug, "you know who is waiting for us there, don't you?" Cherry looked at me.
"Yeah I know," I nodded.
"You two were inseparable. I always though you'll get hitched and have 10 babies-"
"Ten?" I smirked at Cherry.
"Whatever, I'm sorry it didn't work out between you two."
"Thanks man."
"Me too. I'm sorry Steve," Pushman added.
"Thanks guys but I'm good now."

"Is there someone new?" Cherry asked as we pushed the heavy box to the cargo hold.
"Oh yeah," I smiled at my friends, "and this one is not getting away."
"That's the Smoothdog we all know and love-"
Sanders' words got interrupted by Joe's strong voice, "Let's move ladies, wheels up in 5."
"Yes sir."
"Let's move!"

... to be continued