TWENTY THREE - part III

STEVE'S POV

I walked to the back of the house. We still had about half an hour before we had to leave for the airport and I took this time for myself to calm down after the mission, as I always used to do when I was still in the teams.

I walked all the way to the edge of garden and stopped there. I wondered why I haven't noticed the beautiful view of the Hout Bay until now.

 I wondered why I haven't noticed the beautiful view of the Hout Bay until now

"Hey sailor."
"Cath hey. I didn't hear you," I gave my ex slight smile. I didn't want it to be awkwards between us but more time I spent with Catherine the more we were just friends to me.

"Pretty amazing view, isn't it?" she smiled at me.
"Yes. Whoever Joe's friend is sure knows how to pick a home."
"Yeah that's true," Catherine stopped next to me at the edge.
"Do you know who he is?" I asked as I turned my head to look at her, "Joe never actually told me that.
"It's the current US ambassador os RSA," she said, taking in the beautiful scenery.

I smiled and turned back to the bay, "Why am I not surprised?!" I laughed.
"Joe always had luck in finding good friends, including you Steve."
I nodded, signaling that I heard her.
"Do you know how Joe knows him?" I asked further.
"Not sure. I think they served together but I know that they've been friends for more than 15 years and that the ambassador owes Joe big time!"
"That sounds like Joe to me," I turned my head to Catherine. "It's always nice to have friends in high places." What I meant was that having an ex girlfriend who was now working for the Agency could come in handy.
"You don't tell. I remember you having one on one with POTUS when you were still in the teams," she laughed.
"It was long time ago," I remembered.
"Well, still," she bumped into my shoulder as a joke.
"It was pretty cool," I smiled, "and the tea was nice," I winked at her.

"You've change Cath," I said after a while and turned to face her.

"For better or worse?" She asked.
"None. Just different."

She was quiet before she looked at me, "I know about it."
"What? I asked. I didn't follow."
"About what you were about to do before I left."
"How did u-"
"Joe told me yesterday. He thought I should know. That it will help bring closure to us." She paused, "He also told me that you're seeing someone now."