Hubert's Proposal

Solon's appearance, having been Tomas, stunned the students. More stunning to Y/N, however, was what happened the day after.

"Hubert, you wanted to see me?"

"Ah, yes. I spoke it over with Lady Edelgard, and wanted to give you this." He held out a Golden ring with a red gemstone.

"Hubert, I don't know-"

"We have both promised ourselves to Lady Edelgard. You have managed to infatuate me in the time we have known each other. Lady Edelgard thinks it is a good idea for me to confess this as well. I love you, Y/N." He grinned.

Y/N smiled back as best she could. Even if she did not love Hubert, she may eventually come to. And it was better than falling for- Well, he didn't matter right now. "I love you too Hubert. I am glad our feelings have been the same."

Hubert lifted her chin, taking a deep kiss from her lips. Both of their eyes were shut. He exhaled as he disconnected. "Keep your eyes shut." He stated, and Y/N did as instructed. He slipped the ring onto her finger. "I am going to give you the best life I possibly can. My life is now committed to both you and Lady Edelgard, as if I had two to give. I am happy to have you for my own, Y/N."

He kissed her passionately again, pushing her against the tree.

He didn't know that a pair of emerald eyes, hoping to give Y/N a letter asking to meet at the top of the Goddess tower, were watching him and his beloved from afar.

He saw, as Hubert wrapped his arms around around Y/N's waist.

He dropped the letter, now crumpled by his hand, as Y/N blushed at something Hubert said to her. His chest hurt. He didn't cry, but he felt tears start to form when he saw the gleam of what was on her ring finger.

He should have known he didn't have a chance. That she was just humoring him.

Cyril saw Claude walking back to the monastery. "Claude, are you okay?" He asked. He had never seen the Golden Man sulk.

"I'm fine..." He trailed.

"Why don't you come help me with some firewood then? It'll make time go faster." Cyril offered.

Claude nodded. "Sure. I guess I don't mind."

Claude chopped another piece of wood with the heavy axe.

"Are you serious? She chose Hubert over you?" Cyril asked. "Then she doesn't deserve you."

"You're right. I guess she deserves him." He said, chopping another piece angrily.

"Claude, if you think Hubert is more handsome than you, I need to start doing a better job cleaning the monastery mirrors." He stated, chopping his own wood. "You're funny, strong, heck you're the heir to house Reigan. If she doesn't see that, then you can find someone better."

"Thank you, Cyril. But, Hubert has his own wealth." And I guess he is,,, kinda charming."

"Yeah, if you squint." Cyril responded. "Don't let this get you down. If she's gonna treat you like this, then you should let her go. Treat her like everyone else at the Monastery."

"Like everyone else at the Monastery, eh?" Claude smirked. "You may be on to something there, Cyril."

"I can't condone it." Cyril said. "I had no connection to whatever you do at all."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Thanks, Cyril, you're a huge help." He said, dropping the axe and dusting off his hands.

"Anytime Claude. I always enjoy the extra help from someone nice like you." He said, as Claude ran off.

Y/N held her stomach, groaning. "How could this-"

When she heard a knock at the window, she realized why her stomach hurt so bad.

"Oh, Y/N, you missed the White Heron Cup. Felix won." He said casually as he let himself in. "How's your stomach?"

"Claude, you know the answer to that." She said. "Now, why would you do this to me? I'm now tied to my bed until whatever potion you used wears off."

"Me, poison you? I'd never." He smirked. "And, if I did, I might have the antidote, if you answer my questions."

Y/N wondered if he had suspected Edelgard to be the Flame Emperor, or worse.

"Shoot." She said.

"Do you love Hubert?"

"Wh-"

"Do you love him? It's a pretty easy question."

Y/N hesitated, but was honest. She wanted Claude to know. "..N-No. I don't love him."

"Then... Why kiss him like that? And let him hold you?"

"Because I'm scared, Claude. Impossibly terrified any time I talk to him and Edelgard about returning home to the Empire."

"Wh-"

"Because I've fallen for you Claude." Claude nearly fainted. "Because in the two months I've been here, I've wanted to spend more and more time with you. I'm supposed to be committed to Edelgard, but-"

"Stop, don't say anymore. If you do, I won't be able to allow you to continue with Hubert. I'll become selfish, and I know I can't." He stated. He sat her up, giving her the antidote, which seemed to work almost immediately. "If you say those words, I'll take you for myself again. Over and over."

She blushed, looking at him as he climbed in bed with her again, wrapping her in his arms. "When the day comes that I am ready to realize my dream, I will come and steal you for my own." He held her tightly. "In the end, I seem to be a selfish man."

The two sat there for a silent moment, in Claude's one-sided embrace. "Okay, Claude."