Chapter 4

Fire spread through her limbs, burning her alive from the inside out. She screamed in pain, paralyzed by the fire. Help, she thought.

Through the burning, she felt a blackness. It was like her magic...but different. It had no love, or friendship, making her vision go black. It reminded her of Trigon, and it sent strikes of fear through her heart.

Outside the pain, she heard a scream. Beast Boy? What was happening?

Suddenly, her vision cleared. Below her she saw Beast Boy covering his ears. He was no longer screaming, but everyone kept flocking to him.

Then everything was black again.

-

"Raven?"

"Are you awake?"

"Rae, wake up."

Her eyes popped open at Beast Boy's voice. It was broken, hurt. It made her heart clench in fear. "Beast Boy?" she croaked.

He was instantly above her. She relaxed at the sight of his worried face. "Rae, you're okay," he breathed, eyes alight with relief.

"What happened?"

He frowned and looked away. "I'm not sure."

Cyborg spoke next. "It was really weird. You were in the air and you were glowing black and white. And then BB was on the ground. And then you were, too."

Raven looked over to see Star, Robin and Cyborg. They had the same worried look as Beast Boy had. Starfire seemed to be most concerned. She allowed a tiny smile. "I'm fine," she assured. "I'm gonna go to my room. I'll see you all in the morning."

Raven stood, unexpectedly wobbling. Beastie came to her side immediately, holding her waist. "How about I take you to your room?" he asked.

She sighed with a nod. She pulled her hood up and began toward her bedroom with BB.

______________________________

He opened her door and laid her down on her bed they had repaired earlier. She stared up at him, her hood falling, allowing him to look at her face. He traced his eyes over her forehead, lingering on the small purple diamond, her nose, her sallow cheeks, her jaw, her full lips, and finally stopping at her eyes.

He hugged out a single breath. "Raven, you really scared me," he admitted angrily.

Her expression stayed neutral. "Sorry," she said in monotone.

This fueled his anger. "Raven," he snapped, "don't. Stop that. Showing no emotion, like you don't even care you just almost died!" He sighed and sat on her bed beside her. "At least tell me why that happened with your magic?"

"I don't know," she whispered, staring out of her broken window. Suddenly, her door flew off the hinges, glowing with her magic as it was tossed across the room. Beast Boy gasped and backed up instinctively, accidentally hitting his head on the headboard.

"You need to leave," Raven suddenly urged, seeming worried.

He frowned. "No," he said stubbornly. "I'm not gonna leave you. Especially when that just happened."

Rae shifted her eyes to him. They were full of sadness. "Rae?" he whispered in a hoarse voice. "What's wrong?"

"You're going to die with me around."