Chapter 6

Raven heard someone. They were calling out her name, fear edging their muffled voice. I'm here, she wanted to say. But the words wouldn't come.

"Raven," something whispered. She knew instantly that it was demonic; its presence choked her.

"Go...away," she rasped.

"Raven...?" she heard the previous person say. Who was that? ...Beast Boy?

"I'll kill you, Raven," the demon screeched. For the first time, she caught a glimpse of it. Gnarled and dilapidated; limbs protruding in odd places; black, glossy skin; red eyes that seemed to peer into her very soul.

"Go away!" Raven screamed, just before it consumed her.
___________________________

Beast Boy stared at her. After cleaning her up, they had taken her to her room to rest. He didn't leave, though--he was too scared.

Raven had fallen, and he guessed that she'd taken the mirror with her because gashes covered her pale legs and arms. It had taken what felt like hours to pick all the glass out. Even now, knowing she was safe, his heart broke just a little to see her wounds.

And what made them more obvious was the fact that she wasn't wearing anything more than a white towel. It covered her body, but not her legs or arms. He couldn't help but skim his eyes over her cuts.

Guilt plagued him; if only he'd been there. "I'm sorry, Rae," he whispered. He leaned in and pressed his mouth to hers. Her lips were cold, unmoving.

Suddenly, she whimpered in her sleep, shaking. He pulled away. "Leave me alone," she gasped, rolling over. Beast Boy's eyes widened. She was having a nightmare?

"Leave him alone!" Raven shouted, her eyes glowing white as they opened.

"Raven?" he asked, touching her arm.

Raven gasped and sat up, the towel falling. Beast Boy looked away, his neck flushing.

"What's going on? What happened?" Raven looked around frantically, and he sensed she saw him. He kept his eyes down respectfully. "Beast Boy?" she asked, confirming what he thought.

"Yeah?" he replied, doing all he could not to look at her.

"What's...oh," she said suddenly. He sighed in relief when he watched her lift her towel in his peripherals. He met her gaze. "What's going on?" she asked in monotone, now in control.

He frowned and looked away again. "You...apparently fell. The mirror did that to your legs and arms," he added, motioning to her. He caught a small gasp.

"...Who cleaned me up?" she finally asked.

"Me," he whispered, meeting her eyes. They were so beautiful; full of intelligence and independence and integrity.

A blush caught fire in her cheeks and he lost his breath at the sight. He noticed she clutched her towel closer to herself, but it didn't stop him from leaning toward her. She searched his gaze, seeming to wonder what his actions were. Inwardly, he smirked, and placed a hand on her bare neck.

"Beast Boy, what are you--" He cut her off with his lips, kissing her for a second time. Her lips weren't cold, but they stayed still. Then she seemed to leap into action.

Her mouth opened, her warm breath rushing in, surprising him. Her arms wound around his neck as she pressed herself closer to his body; he wrapped his hands around her waist, moving his lips along with hers.

His fingers trailed up her spine, making her shiver. She broke the kiss suddenly, panting heavily. He gazed up at her, half-lidded and lustful.

He hasn't noticed till now--he loved her.