Chapter 15: If I'm dreaming

Two whole months of driving back and forth between the hospital and their home had finally passed, and sweet baby Isla was able to leave the NICU. She finally weighed enough, ate on her own, could breathe without the oxygen, and on top of it all, she passed her car seat test, which meant that their family could finally start being a family in the comfort of their own home. 

Evie had picked out the outfit that she wanted to bring her daughter home in, which of course was designed and made by herself. It was a simple royal blue onesie, a red heart with a crown on top of it adorned the front of it. The had made a tutu and a headband to match, and the moment they put it on her, Doug started crying. He snapped a quick picture, and gave both his beautiful wife and adorable baby a quick kiss on the forehead. 

"Ready to go, babe?" Doug asked Evie. 

"More than ready," she said quickly as she puts Isla in her car seat. 

After all the paperwork was taken care of, they walked out down to the car. They put their sweet baby into her base, and Evie sat right next to her to make sure that everything went smoothly. Doug thought she was a backseat driver before, but man oh man, it got ten times worse with the baby. After a short ten minutes, they finally reached their house, and Evie had fallen asleep in the backseat. Doug sat watching his two girls and before he knew it, Evie began to stir. 

"We're home, dreamer," he whispered. 

Evie nodded and smiled at her husband, and they all got out of the car. 

"Welcome home, baby girl. This is where we live, and you're going to live here with us," Doug began as they walked through the front doors. "This is the living room, and back there, that's the kitchen. Oh, and just beyond that, your mom makes the most amazing clothes. And then just up these stairs," he paused. "Right up these stairs is your bedroom, and right next door is mommy and my bedroom. Whatever you need, whenever you need it, we will be there for you. I am so happy to have you home." 

Doug set the car seat down on the ground and unbuckled Isla. He held her close as he showed her every little thing in her bedroom. Evie stood at the door in awe at her family, her home. She walked over to Doug and put her arm around his waist. They stood there watching their two month old daughter sleep, afraid that if they looked away or even blinked, that it would all disappear.

"This is everything I imagined it would be and more," she stated. "I love you, Douglas White. Always have, always will."