Chapter 16: And is it Strong Enough

GUYS! I am so so sorry!! Life got so crazy, and I just haven't had any time to write anything. :( But I am back for a while since school has calmed down a bit. So, without further ado, here is Chapter 16!

Isla had been home for a month, and Evie and Doug were in heaven. Their daughter was a dream, she slept through the night, caught on to her feeding incredibly well, and was starting to really smile and giggle. She was now three months old, and everyone couldn't get enough of her. Doug was constantly bragging about how amazing she was to everyone, and about his super hero of a wife. He was so so proud of his two girls, people began getting sick of him. But he didn't mind. The whole world should know how great his family was. 

"Evie, I think it's time we got a sitter and went out on a date, just the two of us," Doug said out of the blue. 

Evie shot him a look, "Why can't we take Isla with us? She goes with us everywhere."

"I know, my beautiful dreamer, but we haven't been out on a date since she was born, and as much as I love our little family, I miss my wife..." Doug tapered off. 

Evie laid her daughter down in the bassinet before motioning Doug out of the room with her. She closed the door quickly and quietly, and with her calmest voice replied, "Doug, I love you, more than life itself. I am so so sorry I have been pretty preoccupied the last couple months, but Isla is my life now. I almost lost her, and I can't imagine going through that again. For now, if we go out, she comes with us. End of discussion."

Doug looked at his wife in shock. "WE almost lost her. But worse than that, I almost lost you too. I sat by your bed, held your hand, talked to you for hours on end until you opened your eyes again. Why? Because I couldn't stand the thought of a world without you in it. If I would have lost you, I would have had to do this all on my own. And I am sorry for wanting a night out like the good old days, but I am not sorry for loving you so much, and wanting to spend time with you. If you will excuse me, I am going to sleep at Ben and Mal's tonight." He got quiet and gave her a quick peck on the forehead. "I'll call you tomorrow."

"Doug, wait. Please, I'm sorry..." Evie tried calling out. 

"I love you, princess. Always have, always will."

Doug opened the front door, and went to his best friends house to cool off. Why didn't Evie see that all he wanted was a few hours of her undivided attention? Was that so bad of him to ask? Is their love strong enough to get through this?