XXXIV

THIRTY FOUR
─────── ✩《❂》✩ ───────

Steve and Meredith headed to Hammer Industries as the sun was coming up. When they got there, they snuck in and discovered what Justine had been working on. There was an army of robots lined up from edge to edge of the building. But it didn't make any sense, because there was no power source for them to run on. Meredith didn't understand the point until Justine showed up, sneaking up behind them. "I knew you two would survive, like annoying cockroaches. A couple of bombs aren't going to kill you."

They turned to look at her, and Meredith aimed her makeshift gauntlet with a repulsor at her. "What are all these for?"

"You're about to find out." She shrugged. "I'm assuming you realized who my father is."

"Justin Hammer." Meredith confirmed, and Justine didn't look in the least bit happy at the mention. The sound of his name probably hurt, and Meredith was surprisingly sympathetic towards her. No matter how evil a man Justin Hammer was, it was her father. She was still going to love and care about him anyways, and Meredith knew how terrible it was to grow up without a father. She felt bad for everything, and she came with the intentions to make amends in someway. Even if, in the end, Justine had to be arrested. She reminded her a lot of Wanda, though. Wanda hated the Starks, but they ended up becoming rather close in the end. Well, her and Wanda, not so much Tony. Meredith was always the more compassionate one, anyways. "I'm sorry about what happened. I never knew he had a daughter, and my intentions were never to take him away from you. But he did some terrible things, and he had to be arrested. Once Ivan Vanko threw him under the bus, the state was after him. I couldn't have had any influence on what happened to him."

Justine was quiet for a moment, the red anger in her eyes almost dying down. Then, it was like a flame. "I don't care! You still took him away from me! You're still the reason billions of people are suffering without their loved ones! It's all your fault!"

Steve rushed over and grabbed Meredith out of the way as he noticed all the robots that were almost like people come to life behind them. There wasn't a power source, Justine was using her magic to enchant them. The two of them rushed out of the building, but the robots only came out after them. They moved like people, and it reminded them almost of Ultron and the Sentries. "There's not that many of them. If we take them all down, we can go after her."

"Okay." Meredith nodded. Both of them started to take out all the robots in different ways. Meredith had taken some of the weapons from Natasha's stash on the Quinjet. She didn't like using guns, so she used the more technological weapons like she did whenever she helped Steve during the collapse of S.H.I.E.L.D. She kept sending the electrified discs flying in all their directions, which only weakened them because it was Justine's powers that kept them running. As she ran out of ideas to take them out, a group of them approached her.

"Meredith!" Steve called. She looked over, and he threw the shield at her. She caught it and swung it down onto one that was closest to her. Once she pulled it back out, she threw it like a frisbee and it bounced off all of them and came back to her. She quickly raised it to block a shot from another. It seemed Justine was stepping up her game now that she knew they were having an easy time defeating them. Meredith then ran up to the one that shot at her and jumped up into the air, slamming the shield down onto its body and destroying it. She then spotted Steve having a hard time, so she ran over and took out all the ones surrounding him. She returned the shield to him. "That looks great on you."