Chapter 20- Close Encounters

2016- aboard the quinjet

Emma, and Steve's gaggle of 'enhanced individuals', regrouped back at the quinjet

Emma, and Steve's gaggle of 'enhanced individuals', regrouped back at the quinjet. Steve had kept an annoyingly close eye on Emma as they returned. She hated it. She had done a great job. It wasn't her fault that three US military officers had been gravely injured by a girl who wouldn't be born for another couple of years. How could it be her fault? She hadn't been born yet!

Steve marched straight up to Heather who was sat in the pilot's seat, feet up and an open manual propped up in the crook of her arm.

"We need to get out of here and fast." He said quickly, but calmly. Heather jolted up, the manual flittering to the floor. She nodded and began ficking buttons. They had barely risen two meters when they were joined by two helicopters, each with US military symbols branded on the sides.

Emma had to crane her neck just to peer out of the side windows, which were tiny and put up so ridiculously high that you had to be giant just to reach them. Steve had no problem looking out and noticing they had company. Most of the others did too. A girl Emma had barely noticed before, around her own age, raised her hands up to chest level and asked Steve: "Want me to get rid of the company?"

Her hands started glowing red and tendrils of red wisps flew about them. How had her mom neglected to introduce them?

Before Steve had a chance to answer, the quinjet suddenly plummeted. Emma lost her balance and was thrown over. She groped the side of the quinjet, searching for something to hold onto so she didn't whack into anyone. The one upside to being toppled over and somehow falling up a wall was that Emma could now comfortably look through the windows. The helicopters continued to rise. What was going on? It was as if they hadn't seen them.

Heather looked back and frowned at them all. Most of them had fallen over and were staring at her in either confusion or contempt.

"What?" She asked innocently.

"How did you-?"

"Electronic signal decoy." Heather answered simply as if everyone already knew what that was. "I hacked into their radar system and placed a code to make it look like we're still in front of them. Of course, it only works in foggy, windy and rainy conditions, so it's lucky it's so horrible out." Heather shrugged. Obviously.

"How did you know to-?"

"Not many people read the manual."

"So..." Sam asked awkwardly once they'd picked themselves back up again. It seemed like no one wanted to break the tension. It was surprising. Most of them had never met Emma or Heather before and were a little intimidated to say the least, "Where do we go now?"