Chapter 20

I love this chapter so I hope you do too x

When I get home, everything just seems to escalate. I don't feel like I'm in control anymore as when I reach my room, there's a white, body bag hanging from my wardrobe down. It looks exactly like every dress bag ever – none of which I've ever possessed so when I hesitantly unzip the sheath, I'm shocked. In my room is the green dress. The one I tried on earlier with Phoebs. It looks elegant and fancy sitting against the brown wood of my wardrobe. However, upon closer inspection, I find a piece of paper slotted in the left shoulder/sleeve gap.

Don't act so surprised. You look stunning in this dress so who cares what one person says or does, it shouldn't knock you, (especially when it's Joanne. She's a bitch after all and you know it). I wanted you to know that this dress is perfect for you – hence why I brought it for you. And before you jump to conclusions, no you don't have to come to prom, I just really wanted you to have this as she shouldn't control you. Love Phoebe xxx

After I've read her sweet, if not partly passive aggressive message, I fold the paper in half and place it onto the top of my chest of drawers before I find myself back in front of the dress. My fingers trail around the bottom of the green material. It's soft in my palm and swishes when I flap it about a bit. I feel like I'm being really childish right now that I'm thankful no one's watching me. Just to confer, I do a double take of my doorway. No one's there. However, I start to hear footsteps so I zip the bag up and take the approaching footsteps as a good excuse to shower before I get ready for mum and dad to meet Nate. If I can even be ready for that.

Turns out, I can to a certain degree, but not anywhere near enough. It's six and Nate text me a while ago saying that he'll be round soon. Knowing I'll see him again should be settling for me, and it is, it's just that my parents added into the equation messes with things. From what I've seen of them this afternoon, they've been composed and as if everything's the way it always is – normal – which makes me think that it's just me having a meltdown. But I can't be, as otherwise they wouldn't have asked Nate round, would they? They've got to be a tiny bit anxious. No, they're utterly suspicious of him and anyone else I'm around without their eyes there.

I wait in my room until I get a text from Nate: I'm outside. We agreed earlier that I'd come out to meet him before mum and dad could. That way he wouldn't be at risk of answering the door to one of them instead of me. Well, that's the theory we're going for at least.

Rubbing the sweat off my palms and onto my thighs, I breathe deeply before rising to my feet. Stealthily, I make it down stairs without being detected. Both mum and dad are too preoccupied with watching the TV to hear or notice me, to my advantage, so I manage to smoothly make my way to the front door. Opening it, I decide to leave it open a slither as not to make a noise when closing it, and so I can get back in without my keys, which I haven't picked up.

I've barely made it outside before Nate comes into view. We both smile at each other in recognition and for that moment, I can breathe and forget about my parents. As he gets closer to me, I see his chosen outfit on a whole. A sea green and black checked flannel is buttoned up across his torso, only leaving the top few buttons undone. The shirt suits him, especially with the green that reminds me of his eyes. Then, from his waist down, a pair of light washed black jeans sit comfortable enough, nothing too tight or loose, the way I've come to see he likes it.