Chapter 1

I brush my long brown hair that reaches down my back to about top back section, a couple inches down from my shoulders. I stare at myself in the mirror, my brown eyes staring back at me reaching into my soul. I snap out of my trance and grab my hair and smooth it into a pony tail. Then I start wrapping it around itself with my finger and snap a pony tail around it creating a messy bun. I nod at myself, and look at my outfit, grey sweatpants and a blue t-shirt. I walk out of my room in bare feet and into the long hallway. Pictures line the walls, from family pictures, to friends. I don't even look at them, I've seen them too much to care anymore. The kitchen opens up and I take a seat at the island waiting for food.

"I'm not gonna get it Emerson!" a voice says, and my dad walks out of the opposite hallway.

"Blah." I grunt and get up. He chuckles and pours himself orange juice. I do the same and just grab some raw bread and start to chew. Chew. Drink. Chew. Drink. Done.

"That wasn't so bad was it...?" He trails off. "I'll be back." I nod. I pull myself up to a chair and sit. I decide to do something productive and I yell to my dad. "I'm going outside!"

"Ok have fun!" My dad calls back. I climb down the chair and don't even put my shoes on. I walk out to grass and dirt. The fresh air fills my nose and I run. I run out to the valley. I take a right turn into a forest. I keep running, pine needles under my feet. When I reach my secret tree, I climb it. Limb by limb until I reach a small wood walk way I built. I cross it carefully, it leads to a rope and as I swing I see the ground below me. It scares me every time, but I believe in myself and I always make it. The rope leads to a platform and I jump on crouching then I get on my knees and crawl to my tree house. I walk in and sit relief flooding through me.

"She's here!" I hear a voice call from the one and only other room.

"What!" I yell, but it's too late. To men crouch and pull a bag over my head, a scream is all I can manage and they jump twenty feet to the ground below. They never stop or stumble they continue swiftly. I don't know what to do so I continue to scream. A man hits me in the bag and I pass out.