Chapter 4

I walk to a couch and sit. It's warm in here, nice to be finally comforted. The smell is actually not the evil smell I had smelled before. It's Hope. Again I don't know how I smell emotions or words but I can. The girls shuffle around uncomfortably. Paxton clears his throat.

"I'm glad you showed!" He says smiling.

"Ha. Ya ok," I'm still mad at him about the parent thing.

"Hey I'm sorry about.."

"You know what, no! Don't be sorry!" I almost scream, almost blow our secret meeting.

"You just got showed," one of the girls says smiling at both of us. She has dark dark brown hair and glasses. Her smile is sweet and gentle, but I can tell she has an overjoyed spirit. The other girl laughs, she has dark brown hair. The same as mine but lighter and doesn't have glasses. Her brown eyes shine. I look to see what color eyes the girl that talked has, and to my surprise has brown too.

"Oh, you haven't met these lovely girls yet. Have you?" Paxton asks slyly.

"No, who are they," I grumble wanting to hide and curl in a ball.

"That one," he points the the girl who talked, "she's Maya. And the girl next to her is Kira."

"Nice to meet you," Kira says smiling.

"Same here!" Maya says slightly shoving Kira.

"Yea nice to meet you. I'm Emerson." I don't look at them I look at the ground.

"Well, Emerson we have a lot to teach you," Kira says.

"Can we start?" I ask, and everyone nods.

"Well we will start with the basics. Us here are the only ones who got taken captive, the other people are recruits. All of us taken the same way. They spied on us and made sure we were right for the Riots then took us. I got taken 8 years ago when I was about 5 years old. Maya got taken a year after me so I was 6 and she was about 5. Then Kira came just 2 years ago when she was about 10. And here you are. We are all here because we are trying to find a way out! Never found one. We're still trying though. It's terrible here. We attack people and hurt them. Ahh I can't even think about it. We gotta leave!" Paxton collects himself and sits up straighter. "That's it, pretty much."

"Thank you." I say.

"Ok girls tomorrow we start plans to escape again," he says whispering. All of them file out and leave. I leave to not looking back, but Paxton grabs my shoulder. I turn to look at him, he smiles and nods. I turn and leave. Not returning with a smile or anything. I can't believe what he did. He said he would show me my parents. I trudge up the stairs all the way to my room, and when I get to my bed I fall on it and doze off.