Chapter 14

When I wake up Paxton presses his finger to my lips.

"Shh," he says. All I do is nod as I see what he wants me to be quiet about. Everyone has awakened from them 'passing out' and is walking back to the Base in a straight formation. It's hard to see, but I can. They shake their heads and punch each other in the arm, clearly unsure why they were anywhere but the Base. Most are bloody from us attacking them, some are ok, though those are the ones who shake their heads. I shudder, what if they see us, our escape was for nothing then. But they don't, the last of them disappear in the darkening night. It's probably midnight by the looks of it. I turn and look at Paxton then Kira then Maya then Teresa. I rest my head on Paxton's shoulder, but I quickly shot myself up when I realize what I did. I see his lips curling into a smile.

"It's ok." He whispers. I just nod but I don't re-place my head on his shoulders. I exhale. Kira rests her head on the moist ground. Maya follows, and Teresa too. Soon their snoring. I turn to face Paxton his eyes gleam in the dark.

"Just you and me." I say, staring deep into him. He nods. My heart hammers and breathe is short. I didn't think I liked him, I really didn't. He was just someone who got captured like me. The same way. We both suffered the same way. I never thought I would feel so....

"Are you scared?" He asks. I'm probably shaking.

"Maybe." I say. He grabs me into a hug. It's different from when he saved me from fainting onto the ground. This is purposeful. There was no reason to but he did. Then he kisses my cheek. It's warmer than I thought it would be. My heart beats faster than it did before. Then he lays down and falls asleep. I walk over next to Teresa and lay down. He kissed me. He likes me. It was out of nowhere. Then I fall asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up at the break of dawn. The new day air comes in my mouth and escapes my nose sending life through me. There is a large tree in the middle of the clearing that I didn't notice before and I move to it slowly. Limb by limb I climb until I reach the middle. I look down and suddenly have an idea. I jump down like a monkey swinging quickly. Then land like a gymnast. I grab some twigs, more like tons of twigs and dig a small trench on one side of the tree. Then I place each twig in it and pat down the dirt around it. It makes two walls. Then I make a roof and put ferns on it. It makes a small house. I scrape of the dirt and stand up. Then slowly but surely I make four more around the tree. When Paxton wakes up I jump to the top of the tree. I don't want to see him, after last night. He looks up and raises his eyebrows as he sees me stop between two limbs.

"You...ok?" He ask.

"Um," I pull myself down from the tree. "Ok last night..."

"I know," he stops and takes a breath then pulls me down to sit on the dirt. "I like you!" He says. My heart stops, but what did I expect! I look at his eyes. Then my heart melts and I lean my head on his shoulder.

"I think I might actually...like you too." And that's all I have to say, I lead him to his "fort" as the others wake up. I smile as I see them, but don't say a thing. I point to their forts and crawl in mine, as I think about Paxton.