Chapter 19

Lilted is neighboring towns with Beltid, so we're there in a half and hour. We don't bother to go inside, but Kira's mother gives us filled water bottles that we take greatly. Kira gives us all hugs, even Paxton. 

"Call me, ok?" I ask as I give her my phone number. She nods, but starts crying. I hush her.

"It's ok!" Teresa says surprisingly gentle. "Though my stomach isn't ok! Bring us some food." Kira smiles and brings out Cheese Soup, that tastes so good and we all drink our water, so her mom needs to give us more. I bring up the question on everyones mind.

"What was that bandit thing all about?" I ask and it brings back my dizziness. Everyone shrugs.

"Err. I don't really know. I think they're just bandits. That's their job!" Kira says and we all laugh.

"Where do you live Teresa?" I ask.

"Tarmen," she says. I smile happily.

"Me too!" We all are silent.

"And what about you, Mr. not talking so much man?" I ask Paxton.

"What?" 

"Got to listen you know listening is..." I stat to say, sacasim lacing my voice.

"Ok, ok. Just tell me!" I laugh.

"Where do you live?" 

"Past your town. Far, far away." he says

"Sounds like a fairy tale!" I murmur. Paxton rolls his eyes. We pack up our stuff and give Kira one last hug.

"I'll miss you!" I say as we walk away. Next stop, my town, Tarmen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am so exited. Though the night creeps up on us faster than we thought, and the creatures of the dark are near. I shake Paxton. 

"This might not be safe!" I say.

"Oh please,"  Paxton says though Teresa is shaking. Then I hear a howl.

"Darn!" Paxton yells. "We were so close to saftey and..." he can't finish because a wolf lurches from the night at us. I dodge quickly and pull Teresa with me. We almost died. People don't kid when they say my life just flashed before my eyes. We all run so fast it's inhuman. The wolf keeps up though hot on our tails. Before I can pull myself away the wolf lashes my back, and that's enough for Paxton because he jumps on the wolf and fights. My vision becomes blurry again and Tersa comes to patch me up. Paxton jabs the wolf hard just as the wolf claws him. I smile as the wolf goes down, though Paxton doesn't seem to get up from his position. Tersa tries to stop me, but I crawl over and shake him.

"Paxton? Paxton!" I scream, his body lies helpless on the ground. Heartbeat, there still is.