Nine

Max woke at around 4am. He sighed when he saw Madison wasn't there. He didn't blame her. She hadn't slept since it was revealed that Evie had been abused.

Max climbed out of bed. He saw Evie was fast asleep in bed with Sophie. Evie had been sleeping with Sophie since Adam had been arrested.

Max went downstairs to see Madison sitting on the sofa with a cup of coffee. "Come back to bed," he said.

Madison looked at him. "No I can't sleep," she mumbled. She wiped away her tears. "This isn't right. She's four years old. She shouldn't have had to go through that. He took her innocence from her."

"The only thing is that he didn't, you know. Or else we might not be having this conversation," Max said.

Madison broke down crying. Max pulled her into his arms and held her as she cried. He felt a tear escape his eye. He needed to stay strong. For Madison. For Sophie. But more importantly. For Evie.

***
Max's mum had come to watch Evie while Madison and Max went into work. When they arrived Rachel walked over. "How's Evie?" She asked.

Madison glared. "That happened in your house. How did you not hear her crying?"

"I was out."

Madison scoffed. "You left my four year old daughter with him? She has to be interviewed by the police. She has to have a check up to make sure he didn't rape her!"

Rachel sighed. "Haven't they done it already?"

Madison shook her head. "No. They want to give Evie some time. She is four years old mum! Four!"

***
The next day, Madison and Max had to take Evie to the police station. She was terrified and wanted Sophie with her. But she couldn't.

Max carried her inside and saw the police officer waiting for them. "Hello Mr Tyler. Miss Mason. This must be Evie."

"Dat me!"

***
Max couldn't be in the room with Evie while she talked to the police. It would break his heart. He felt like he was a bad father. He let his little girl get hurt.

***
The police officer smiled at Evie. "Evie, I have this doll. It helps me understand where the bad man touched you. Can you show me where?" She asked.

Evie nodded and pointed to where Adam touched her on the doll. The police officer nodded. "Thank you. Did he put anything inside of you?"

Evie pouted. "Want my daddy."

Madison sighed and kissed Evie's head. "Baby, you need to tell the police officer. Did the bad man put anything inside your body?"

Evie shook her head. "No. He touched my lady bits though and tells me that I need to let him play more games with me," she said. She held onto her teddy bear.

"Thank you Evie. I need your mummy and daddy to take you to the hospital now. To get looked at by a nice doctor. Can you let them do that?"

Evie nodded and held her arms out for Madison.

They left the room and saw Max. Madison could tell he had been crying. She knew they needed to stick together. But this was going to drive them apart.