Alone (2)

Wendy's been doing everything to help Irene. She wanted to make her feel better. Ever since that day in the library, it's always been Irene this, Irene that. Even when Irene isn't talking to her much, she still wants to befriend the girl. 

"Uhm, Irene? I baked some cookies. Here." she handed the box to Irene. They're currently in Irene's safe haven, which is a secluded area in the school. They're sitting underneath the tree just basking in the sun's utmost glory. 

Wendy knew about this place because she followed Irene once and the latter got irritated at her. But can you blame her? She just wanted to protect Irene. 

Irene shook her head and gave the box back to Wendy. 
"You don't like cookies? Oh. I'm sorry. I'll just make you another one tomor--" 

"Stop being nice to me." 

"Why?" 

"Please. Just stop."

Irene stood up immediately and walked away. She knew that Wendy knows about that. 

"I won't. Never." Wendy whispered while leaning on the tree and closing her eyes. 

Irene stopped walking abruptly, shock visible on her face. No one, I repeat, no one has ever said that to her. Can she trust her? No. Her mind says, but her heart is saying otherwise. 

-

"Irene! Here. Since you were absent yesterday, I copied notes for you." 

Irene was shocked beyond belief. What else will this girl do for her? She just kennot. 

-

"Here's your lunch. I brought you your favorite." 

-

"Tired? You can rest on my shoulder."

-

"I'll sing you to sleep if you want." 

-

"Here. Take my jacket. I know you're feeling cold." 

-

For the past few days, Wendy had been so kind and caring towards her. Her walls are melting and she can see that.

This is what she's afraid of. 

The rumor that she's a killer isn't true at all. Her parents were killed in front of her. She can still remember her Mom's pleas and shouts. She can clearly remember her Dad's face that is full of pain and agony. They were stabbed to death. Before they passed away, they told her to run away and hide,  but she didn't. So, the police officers just concluded that she was the one who killed her parents. Insane, right? 

Her parents' death caused a drastic change in her life and in herself. She was no longer the calm and collected Irene that they all know. She became this unreachable star who is distant and lost.

But she has a feeling that Wendy can help her. In some ways...
But of course, happiness doesn't last long. 

-

Irene was walking in the school's corridor when she heard someone talking about Wendy. 
"You know Wendy Son? The transfer student from Canada? I feel really bad for her." 

"Huh? Why?" 

"She's stuck with a criminal. I mean, she can just go to Hyuna's group. She's pretty and all that. So, I can't really understand her motive for choosing that criminal." 

"Isn't the criminal rich? Maybe that's her reason." 

"Can be." 

And just like that, Irene's hope shattered.